**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Freedompop does not use sprint?

John HeckmanJohn Heckman Posts: 15FreedomPop Newbie
is it true they don't use sprint? as they have to use only WIFI or data just to text and call out?
i just active my Nexus S 4G phone, how ever it use a area code 577 and not PA 570 number

after i saw few post, it seems they use VOIP? why would they want sprint phone if they use VOIP only and not sprint towers?

Answers

• djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    FreedomPop uses Sprint's network but all calls are routed over the data side, 3G or 4G. Your phone must use the FreedomPop app downloaded from the Google Play Store or other third-party VOIP app such as Hangouts (you must also install the Hangouts dialer) or GrooveIP. There will be a new feature added soon where you can use the normal Sprint 2G service for voice calls when data speeds are weak. I believe that feature will cost $2.99.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @djinks is correct. Premium voice will be $2.99 and released soon.

Your 577 number is the MDN. This isn't a phone number that makes calls.

We use the Sprint data network which is why Sprint devices are only supported.
  • Carl FalconeCarl Falcone Posts: 46FreedomPop Newbie
    Freedompop (like some other carriers) are using VoIP technology rather than traditional data network as a means of cost control. It it much cheaper for a carrier to use WiFi or data than pay for traditional cellular costs.
  • Nathan RoyceNathan Royce Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    @John Heckman "is it true"?
    Did you read that online somewhere (a few post)?
    I know they have several android apps (https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Freedompop) that can probably be used anywhere there is internet access, but for when people don't have internet access, they would use Sprint's network.
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Whilst FP does use VOIP for voice calls, those calls are routed over Sprint's towers & cellular network (when your phone isn't on WIFI, of course).

The 533/566/577 area codes shown under Settings->About phone->Status are utilized for personal communication services (VOIP data, in this case), rather than geographic regions, whereas the caller-ID that will show on your calls will be whatever area code you chose when you set the account up.
  • Gregory VernonGregory Vernon Posts: 141FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭
    They use the Sprint data network. Soon, they will be releasing an update so that, for $2.99/mo, you will use the Sprint voice network as well.

The number assigned to your phone is only used by sprint to track your data usage.
  • John HeckmanJohn Heckman Posts: 15FreedomPop Newbie
    i see, nah reason why i ask is, my area is 2G lol then 4G even tho, sprint area map saids we have LTE /4G and 3G so get this, after i looked into this issue, i was pulling "R" on my mobile now then 3G or 4G... so idk if they are using sprint towners or not, as for my WIFI network it would run slow at times to send out text, maybe it best to use towers then wifi network to send

now what happens if my data is gone, then i would have to wait for the next month to text to ppl. or call out..
    maybe they should have plans with towners and non-towners in case if any one as the same issue i have now