Can't make phone calls without Wi-Fi or Mobile Data

Peter StewartPeter Stewart Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
The first few weeks that I had the Galaxy S3, I had no Wi-Fi at home and had no trouble making calls. Now, I can't make a call without either Wi-Fi or Mobile Data On.

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Peter Stewart Unfortunately you will not be able to make calls without Wi-Fi or a data connection. Calls are VoIP. However if you subscribe to the Premium Voice plan which should be released soon you'll be able to make calls without an internet connection :)
  • Peter StewartPeter Stewart Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    This was not the case in March. My account record shows no data usage on days when I made phone calls. I want to know if this account changed after initial activation.
  • Peter StewartPeter Stewart Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Why do my posts disappear when the Post Comment button is pressed?
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    Member comments are usually approved by an admin before they display.
  • ErikSErikS Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    Perhaps your account shows no data usage, because they subtract usage for phone calls.
    @Peter Stewart You probably were using data to make calls. As long as you're on a 3G, 4G, or Wi-Fi connection you'll be able to make calls and text :)
  • Aaron OettingAaron Oetting Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
    I have the unlimited text and calls option with only 500 of data but every text uses 1mb. So it is not unlimited but I can only text 500 times in a month, well only 401 till they turn it off..... why did I pay more for the unlimited if it is limited by the data?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,274FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got a bad version of Messenger, it should charge you a net of 0 bytes each text. NOT 1 MB per text. Hey @Ali can you help out with @Aaron Oetting ?
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    @Aaron Oetting Are you on the latest version right now?
  • RossRoss Posts: 56FreedomPop Newbie
    you need to top up $10 for data overage so you can use all your data. I'm pretty sure Freedompop credits call and text data. I mean Freedompop is cheap enough. plus if you top up you will get 1 gig of data a month with Freedompop friends.
    Yes on latest update on Samsung galaxy but I think the phone is junk. I turned it to airplane mode so it would not use data at random times... I got a HTC EVO G4 and got a new plan with that. but I need the MSL number so I can use it. and then need it moved to first plan. @ali is that something you can help with?
    found a post that tells me to find MSL at fp website.....
    thank
    http://www.freedompop.com/acct_device.htm
    that MSL number given by FP does not work any admin that can help me @ali?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,274FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey admins, who's listening today ?
    @Jorge M. @Jay_FreedomPop @LolaBee @Darla_A
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • margaret waldronmargaret waldron Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I can't use my Samsung Galaxy S3 outside of my house that has a WiFi network. Why have a cell phone if you can't take it with you anywhere in case of an emergency. What am I doing wrong or did I just totally misunderstand the concept of FreedomPop phone service.
  • Abel GutierrezAbel Gutierrez Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie

I can't use my Samsung Galaxy S3 outside of my house that has a WiFi network. Why have a cell phone if you can't take it with you anywhere in case of an emergency. What am I doing wrong or did I just totally misunderstand the concept of FreedomPop phone service.

You did not misunderstand anything. I have the exact same problem as you. I'm looking to get this problem sorted out.
  • stephen Mowbray jrstephen Mowbray jr Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    50 megs of data left but no calls out or in.WHY?
  • juicerjuicer Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    anyone sort this out? I can't make calls unless data or wifi is turned on. I supposedly have 200 talk minutes but can't seem to access these minutes.
  • AllAll Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    Please help, i have problems in data connection, I followed the step to set up APN but it didn't work out!!
  • NabilaKetoff NabilaKetoff Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Is it true that you have to have data or wifi on to make or receive phone calls on freedompop basic plan? If I move up to a paid plan will I be able to use cellular feature?
  • HinsonHinson Posts: 21FreedomPop Newbie
    I doubt anyone is still reading this thread but just in case: I have two S5 phones purchased in Feb. and March of this year. As of today (6 months later) I still have to carry my cheap $11 Virgin Mobile flip phones to have a DEPENDABLE phone for emergencies. The S5s do everything BUT what a phone is supposed to do, and that is make calls. However, I love puzzles so I'm determined to make them work. Unfortunately, the folks at FP are not much help. Hopefully, someone on these boards can help.

I've reset, reset, updated, updated profiles, PRLs, etc. but still do not get dependable service;

1. When in my house testing the phones I think I have everything fixed but then when my wife tries to call me on her phone, the call doesn't go through and usually, she will get a message saying "you are not authorized to make calls to this account." She has on one or two occasions been able to call the home landline. Neither of us have ever been able to call phone to phone unless both phones are in the house.
    2. Same problem with my phone. Attempt to make a call and it either doesn't do anything, gives me the same message as hers or just sits there as if it made a call but nothing in happening.
    3. I just read this whole thread and saw what someone said about wifi. I checked both phones while sitting here at my desk and both worked perfectly, calling to the home landline or calling each other. I then went out to walk the dog and tried the phone about 50 feet from the house and problems. When I called my wife's phone which was still inside, I got the above message, then when I tried my landline, it rang 7-8 times before my answering machine (which is set to answer after 4 rings) picked up.

So, is it true that I must be connected to wifi to use this piece of camel dreck? If so, I'm filing suit tomorrow. If not true, would someone be so kind as to explain to me what I need to set on the phone to make calls away from the house? And I see above someone suggest that I buy the 'premium' service. Now that is nothing more than **** and switch and is not the reason I went for this "free phone service" program (which is starting to look more like a ****.

I know this is long but after six months of not being able to use the phones, I'm pretty frustrated.