**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

I can't send or receive text messages from a different phone carrier

I been trying to contact some of my friends but im not able to do so, I can only text people within the freedompop network, is there any way of fixing this ? Thank you for your time

Comments

• James LummelJames Lummel FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 63
    Had the same thing with a Samsung S3 phone, was never resolved as they wanted to exchange the phone but it was a FreedomPop phone that was purchased used and wasn't covered under warranty.

If you are still in warranty then you may want to exchange the phone, as that is the solution that FreedomPop recommended to me.
    On today's episode of "History in a Nutshell":

"Global warming", or "climate change" as it's now called, was created when two politicians were sitting around one day having a brandy and brainstorming on how they could put together their next government funded project that would be a sure-fire way to win the next election at the taxpayer's expense when one of them said to other "Hey, wouldn't it be GREAT if we could figure out how to tax the very air they breath??" ('they', of course, being you and me). Well the other politician happen to be Al Gore and the rest is a matter of history....
  • Ali Ali FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you try to reset your phone?
  • Carlos Arturo Polanco RCarlos Arturo Polanco R FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 6
    @James Lummel alright seems like i have a useless phone now, thanks for the info,
  • rsdkrsdk FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 57
    Maybe an APN problem? See this thread at XDA.
  • James LummelJames Lummel FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 63
    Texting on FP is handled ENTIRELY by the Messaging app and internal FP servers exchanging the messages with other FP phones.

So texting doesn't depend on any configuration in the phone itself (like it would on a traditional SMS/MMS network like Sprint), as long as the Messaging app has a data connection and it's logged into a valid account FP texting WILL work. This is how come texting with FP also works for people running the FP Free app on phones and tablets connected to other mobile carriers.

But for a message that has a destination outside the FP network, say to a phone on the T-Mobile network, it has to go thru a SMS gateway to get from the FP text network to the SMS network (which interchanges SMS/MMS messages between all the mobile carriers worldwide based on the destination telephone number, it knows which carrier a number is associated with, but it's up to that carrier to actually deliver the message).

The two things than can go wrong are that the telephone number it being mishandled by the international SMS network and messages never get forwarded to the FP SMS gateway. This is HIGHLY unlikely since it only really knows numbers and the carrier responsible for those numbers!!

Or, the FreedomPop SMS gateway looses the message (either incoming or outgoing) because your telephone number is not configured properly (say it thinks the account has been cancelled and is no longer active).

In my case, I bought a used Samsung S3 FP phone and when I activated it on the FP website I was offered a good price to buy an additional ZTE Force phone, which I added to my activation order.

Rather than creating a second account for the ZTE Force, it added it as a second phone to the account with the S3 I just activated!! I was going to give this to friend and did NOT want it on my account so cancelled the ZTE Force, though the account still shows a ZTE Force connected to it, just not activated.

This is the S3 that will only text in the FP network, BTW.

The ZTE Force was shipped anyways so I activated it on it's own account.

Now the problem occurring is that the Samsung S3 will NOT send or receive texts outside the FP network!

The ZTE Force will, it sends and receives to both other FP phones and phones on other carriers. BUT, only the texts that are sent to other carriers are deducted from the text allocation total for the account, essentially giving that phone free texting to other FP phones!

Coincidence that the only 2 phones I've had texting issues with happen to be connected by that original transaction where the S3 was activated and the ZTE Force was purchased?

I don't think so. I think that canceling the ZTE Force on the S3 account was not properly registered on the SMS gateway, and that it thinks that the account was cancelled, disallowing the S3 access to the gateway while not affecting the messaging that it never sees (internal messages for other FP phones).

Now that's how I think account on my S3 got messed up in such a way that SMS texting doesn't work for the phone. I can's say for certain how yours may have gotten messed up.

But I think I've established a reasonable case for FreedomPop to reexamine how our phones are handled by the SMS gateway that's resulting in the problem we are both seeing.
    On today's episode of "History in a Nutshell":

"Global warming", or "climate change" as it's now called, was created when two politicians were sitting around one day having a brandy and brainstorming on how they could put together their next government funded project that would be a sure-fire way to win the next election at the taxpayer's expense when one of them said to other "Hey, wouldn't it be GREAT if we could figure out how to tax the very air they breath??" ('they', of course, being you and me). Well the other politician happen to be Al Gore and the rest is a matter of history....
    alright awesome @rsdk i will try that , thanks a lot
    @Ali i did try from resetting to all the clear thing of the google store and the message app from fp and it didnt work , i can send messages but its only to fp phone user, not any other carrier
    @Ali thank you
  • whkremswhkrems FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 19
    Only texting to/from other FP phones! What's the fix?
  • marie sonmarie son FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 11
    I got same problem, any updates?