System update problem!

buyitnowtingbuyitnowting Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie
Hi, FreedomPop masters:
I purchased the Samsung Galaxy S3 around Apr 1,
It was okay, but there is a system update notice, tried to update, failed, it said something "not a trusted resource".
So the message kept coming, it will waste >80MB of the data.
I am considering to return it and thinking to get S4 or iPhone.

So my question is:
What is the return procedure?
It is still under 30days return period.
Will you provide a return shipping label?

Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• KELLIE LARUEKELLIE LARUE Posts: 148FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Hold your horses @buyitnowting . Nothing's wrong with the phone!!! Freedompop doesn't allow the galaxy s3 update to Android 4.4.4 KitKat. It says the same thing for my gs3 as well. When I asked about the update, a freedompop admin: @njfulwider5 told me that freedompop doesn't support the update for the galaxy s3. I hope this helped you :-)
    The NeXus Evoluzione B)
  • buyitnowtingbuyitnowting Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie
    Thank you, just cannot stand for the update notice, very annoying, and it burns your data. I guess I will return it and go with BYOD, Thanks again.
  • KELLIE LARUEKELLIE LARUE Posts: 148FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @buyitnowting You're Welcome =)
    The NeXus Evoluzione B)
  • Matthew RoquizMatthew Roquiz Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    If you're Freedompop S3 is rooted (see below) you can disable the Android System Update by downloading the DisableService app from the Play Store. After downloading and installing the app and opening it:
    1. Select the "System" tab
    2. In Google Play Services uncheck SystemUpdateService
    3. Go back
    4. In Google Services Framework uncheck SystemUpdateServices
    5. Go back
    6. In System Update uncheck DebugService and SanService
    7. restart phone

****If you don't know if you're S3's rooted download the app SuperSU from the Play Store. The app should tell you if your S3's rooted when you run it. But I should warn you in advance that once you root your S3 you void Freedompop's warranty. That means they won't accept a return.****

I did that within 72 hours of getting my Freedompop S3 (it was annoying the heck out of me). While I haven't seen the Android System Update message, the Sprint Optimizer Update and Freedompop Configuration Settings message pop up from time to time. Should I run the Optimizer Update? The Freedompop Confiuration Settings Update just freezes...
  • NotTheDroidNotTheDroid Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie
    I have the same untrusted update problem on my galaxy s4. Its annoying but you can generally avoid problems by just clicking the install later button and ignoring it. This should prevent downloading the update again and burning data.

FreedomPop needs to provide an OTA, over the air, solution to this. The untrusted update needs to be eliminated. Perhaps as part of an update to android 5?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
  • Joe S.Joe S. Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    I am going to try the suggestion posted by @Matthew Roquiz. My Galaxy S3 came from an online deal website and is a FreedomPop branded rom. I ran a root checker app (Root Checker by joeykrim) and it informed me my device was rooted, so that is convenient. I have been using the FP phone for about a week and gotten posted for the update twice so far. It has gobbled up 165MB of my data so hopefully this will work and I'll post an update.
  • Loren LaiLoren Lai Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    I've had the same issue. It bothered me a lot (turning off the auto system update wasn't a good solution as having the system up to dated by installing security patches like Stagefright is essential). I've tried the method suggested by @David Dahl by flashing the rom to stock. It didn't resolve the OTA failed update issue "first" (as FP had modified the partition) but it now let me update Android system by connecting to Samsung Smart Switch or Kies3 installed on my PC. After Samsung flashed the rom to a new version, it let me install the Stagefright patch via OTA. I truly appreciate the info provided by @David Dahl.