**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

FP Messaging app & Obion

limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
I've read elsewhere (on Slickdeals, IIRC) that running the Obion app (Obihai's softphone app that allows direct access to their VOIP boxes) stops FP's Messaging app from working properly - that's understandable, since they're both attempting to do more-or-less the same thing. What I'm wondering is, does merely installing Obion prevent FP's service from working, or does it only cause problems whilst the Obion app is actually running?

There's a number of reasons why having both the FP Messaging app & the Obihai app installed at the same time would be useful and since I'd only ever be using the Obihai app to make outgoing calls to my Obihai box, I'd not be too concerned it stopped the FP app from working, provided this was only for the duration of time I actually had the Obion app running.

I'm not expecting FP to formally support this, but I am curious if any other Obi users here have already attempted this & what their results were?

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    It only has problems when running, not when installed. This is the case since both apps fight for native integration which can cause some problems.
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @Ali - thanks for your reply - I might have a play with having both apps installed later & see Obion will actually work. Just wanted to make sure installing didn't clobber anything.

For anyone else interested - even if the Obion app doesn't work concurrent with the FP app, it would still be possible to setup your Obi box to present it's auto-attendant when called by your FP phone #, whereupon you can then proceed to do the usual fun things associated with these units.
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Update for any Obihai users out there - the Obion app does appear to work concurrently with the FP Messaging app/FP Free Talk and Text OTT app, though I have a few observations/caveats:
    • The Obion app uses Obihai's own ObiTALK network to connect to other Obi endpoints (such as your Obi box, or other Obi softphone clients) - it is not using SIP, so does not run into SIP conflicts with the FP apps. It also is not integrated into the android native dialer in any way, so shouldn't have any issues with other apps in that respect, either. As a result, if you have an appropriately configured Obi box, you can use Obion to dial into it & then make outgoing PSTN/SIP calls via the Obi box.

• The Obion app is not 100% reliable as a platform for receiving calls - it does not run as a service, so if you background it, android may kill it to recover memory (depends on the phone/tab's memory size & what else is running) and it sometimes takes a couple of repeated call attempts before it will wake up to incoming calls.

• After an incoming call on the Obion app, the 1st following incoming call on the FP app sometimes comes in with the ringer muted.

• If Obion calls have no audio, you may need to set the Obion audio codec to a lower quality (such as Acceptable, or Good).

• If you use the Obion app on a phone/tab connected by WiFi to the same LAN as the Obion box, then you may run into issues with no audio/non-working DTMF tones in Obion calls - however, switching the phone/tab to cellular appears to resolve these issues.