Mobile data useage when on WiFi

A couple of days ago my Galaxy SIII showed a pending Samsung update. At home, on wifi (always) I clicked on install. Process proceeded and after reboot device indicated it was on 4G. I pulled down notification panel and quick setting button showed wifi was on but 4G symbol still showed. I had to reboot twice before device finally was connected to wifi. At that point I got a notification that my available data had fallen below 200MB. When I checked detail, I found that ~90MB of data had been consumed (poof!) even though unit update had started on wifi and quick setting button showed wifi activated although connection symbol in panel was still 4G.

What gives? How can update started on wifi use up 90MB of data when it's supposed to be on wifi? Now I'm afraid to do any update for fear of using up my data when it ignores the wifi setting. Anybody shed light on this unwarranted data consumption? Thanks.

Answers

• Siegmund BeimfohrSiegmund Beimfohr Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Happened again this afternoon a short while ago. Got notice of another software update so (on wifi) clicked install. When phone rebooted, it was on 4G. I immediately turned on wifi and went to messaging to check data. Data left had dropped from 152.98 MB to 60.97 MB. This is absolutely ridiculous. Two software updates have cost me ~180 MB worth of data even though I am exclusively using wifi at home. Is this FreedomPop's way of making sure that you have to pay for data - provide updates and charge data even though wifi is used? Need an explanation from support on this please.
  • Iolaire McFaddenIolaire McFadden Posts: 119FreedomPop Newbie
    I always keep my device on airplane mode and then activate wifi. There is no reason to leave the cell connection active when you are in your wifi area.
  • Siegmund BeimfohrSiegmund Beimfohr Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I agree and usually do. However, when phone reboots after an update and goes to 4G connection after starting the process in wifi (and showing that wifi is still active on the quick setting button), why would it honor airplane mode after a reboot? Bottom line - each update used approx. 90 MB of data even though phone was explicitly on wifi during the download and install phases of the update before it rebooted into 4G (and wasn't in 4G long enough to download 90 megs of data after reboot). Still have no answer from support about this unauthorized consumption of data. Hope there are no updates available for another 16 days - I don't have enough data left to do any at this rate.
  • 8977 Manning8977 Manning Posts: 50FreedomPop Newbie
    So the reboot was eating 90 mbs of data @Siegmund Beimfohr? I would definitely ask support for a data credit to your account if you were on wifi when that occurred.
  • Ani VenAni Ven Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I have the same problem & want to know if you got any solution. Thanks.
  • Ani VenAni Ven Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I have the same problem. Did you resolve this?