LG Optimus - "no talk/text/data"

Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,387 admin
edited April 2015 in Known Issues #1

⚠ If you recently purchased an LG Optimus from FreedomPop, you may have been affected by a minor kitting issue on those shipped after 4/15/15. This issue can be fixed with the following instructions:

1) Update wireless network connection: go into "system settings" (bottom right of phone) scroll to the bottom of menu and select "system updates" then select "update profile." Your device will reboot and re-connect to local wireless network.

2) Ensure best voice quality: go into "Play Store" app and search on "FreedomPop Messaging" then select "update" to ensure you are on the latest version of the app

Note, if you experience a blank screen with Google Play store, you will need to force close the app, re-open and accept Google's Terms and Conditions.

Please contact us directly if you have any issues or feedback at [email protected]

Tagged:

Comments

• krkkrk Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I am unable to make voice calls on my LG Optimus F3 I received today. Text messaging is okay.

I followed all the instructions.
    I also did the "update profile" in "system updates".
    I also updated the "FreedomPop Messaging" from the "Play Store"

When I attempt to call my home landline and other phones I get the message:

Try turning off Wi-Fi
    Unable to register with current WiFi setting.
    Try turning off WiFi

I turn off WiFi and attempt to call again, the calling screen pops up as if making call with the big red button with the telephone handset icon and it immediately goes away.

With WiFi turned on or off, I can go on the internet and browse without problem.
  • richard_urichard_u Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    My phone can go through "Handsfree activation" but then stay at "Update PRL" forever. I tried to connect the device to my home WLAN, the same thing happened. I also tried to do "Update Profile", then phone will then again stay at "Update Profile" forever. I tried to WLAN, LTE, and CDMA, same problem. Ha my phone been properly provisioned in your database? I can only use the phone with WIFI. It's a LG Optimus F3 with MEID (HEX) 990 002 532 698 67. My phone number is shown as 000-000-3271 on the Phone identity page.
  • Joseph GileJoseph Gile Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    New to Freedompop with LG Optimous F3 trying all of the updates and resets and cannot make voice calls with WiFi on. I can dial a number and it says connecting but there is no ringing. I get a receive indication on incoming calls but cannot connect.
  • Joseph GileJoseph Gile Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    Just received the LG Optimous F3. Cannot make voice calls with WiFi. Followed update procedure and tried resetting. Incoming calls ring but cannot connect. Never see 4G in this area contrary to the coverage map. 3G works ok for calls.
  • Gee BeeGee Bee Posts: 22FreedomPop Newbie
    I just received my LG Optimus F3 this afternoon. Calling, texting, voicemail all work fine. It works with my Google Voice number too, now that I've installed Voice and Hangouts.

The only thing I'm wondering about at this point is: the phone number given in Settings >About phone is not actually my phone number, and I can't figure out how to change it. Elsewhere, the system seems to recognize my real phone number.
  • Polina Nikolayev-StairPolina Nikolayev-Stair Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I have the same issue with my LG Optimus F3 as Geneva Blake with the wrong phone number in Settings >About phone.

I sent the below list to tech support, but would like to post it here in case there is a different team who may get to these issues quicker.

Here is my feedback:
    • The echo reported from the other caller is substantial. I tested it with several devices and can confirm the echo is bad.

• The call quality is substandard. When on VOIP via WIFI, it seems a bit better, but overall it’s choppy and hard to have a conversation.

• In About Phone > Phone Identity > My Phone Number - it is showing a phone number that is not mine. I have updated PRL, Profile, etc. Number remains wrong.

• Sometimes in a call, there is a screen flicker. Almost like the proximity sensor is going haywire, but I verified it is off.

• Speakerphone only works intermittently.

• ‘Echo canceller calibration’ seems to have stopped working with the latest app update. Now it just sticks on ‘calibrating…’ but doesn’t finish.
    I’ve tried calling tech support but have been on-hold for 30 mins so I gave up.

I know there have been quite a few problems with the LG Optimus, so perhaps that’s part of the problem, but I would love to get this resolved so I can feel confident this can be used as an emergency device.

• louie peopleslouie peoples Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    my optimus f3 will not turn on ,ive try everything helppppppppppppp
  • Stephanie JenkinsStephanie Jenkins Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie
    Both my daughters phones Still cannot make or receive calls over wi-fi. Have tried everything. What do We do? My concern is that I won't be able to reach them if wi-fi is on in an emergency. We just upgraded from the HTC Evo which had the same problem. I have freedom PPP on my iPhone 4, and I have no problem making or receiving calls over wi-fi on it at all. Why would there be an issue with any other phone? Shouldn't work the same whether it's with-fi or 3/4g? Someone gave me their old iPhone. I cannot buy iPhones for my daughters, and I'm getting beyond frustrated with this!!! Please help!!!
  • Hods58Hods58 Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I have a LG Optimus F3 that I received from Freedompop last week and just started using. I can not recieve calls, or texts unless i'm either on 3g,4g or wifi. If I don't have wifi or data on the phone and attempt a call it says :

Network not available!
    please check your network connection and try again

I have reset the phone, both factory and manufacture(with proper MSL code) resets, force stop, clear cashe, update, uninstall and reinstall both freedompop messaging app and the Google Play app. also updated PRL and Profile.

The messaging app does show the e-mail, phone #, & plan details but does not seem to work as far as receiving calls/texts.

Does the Mobile Data need to be on at all times (except when using wifi) for the phone to call & receive calls/texts ? I’ve tried calling tech support but have been on-hold for 30 mins with no response so I hung up. I really would appreciate your assistance in resolving this...
  • Aaron KnowlesAaron Knowles Posts: 14FreedomPop Newbie
    Yes, that is how VOIP works. You must be connected to a data source.
  • okayokay Posts: 35FreedomPop Newbie
    This is normal behavior for FreedomPop phones They use VOIP (voice over internet) for their voice service, rather than Sprint's usual voice service. The phone number in Settings is the number that Sprint sees, but not the number you are using on FreedomPop's service. Just ignore it. It's a "feature" not a bug.

The only thing I'm wondering about at this point is: the phone number given in Settings >About phone is not actually my phone number, and I can't figure out how to change it. Elsewhere, the system seems to recognize my real phone number.

Life's too short.
  • James LummelJames Lummel Posts: 63FreedomPop Newbie

Both my daughters phones Still cannot make or receive calls over wi-fi. Have tried everything. What do We do? My concern is that I won't be able to reach them if wi-fi is on in an emergency. We just upgraded from the HTC Evo which had the same problem. I have freedom PPP on my iPhone 4, and I have no problem making or receiving calls over wi-fi on it at all. Why would there be an issue with any other phone? Shouldn't work the same whether it's with-fi or 3/4g? Someone gave me their old iPhone. I cannot buy iPhones for my daughters, and I'm getting beyond frustrated with this!!! Please help!!!

I had the same issue, couldn't make calls via WiFi with a FreedomPop Android phone but could on my FreedomPop iPad Mini.

Turns out it was the router that was the problem (a D-Link DIR-655)! Went more that a year like this, then I needed to replace the router and purchased a Linksys EA6500 router. That fixed the problem with Android phones calling out over WiFi! They work great now.

I had made so many changes to the D-Link router to try to get it to work and had come the conclusion that it was ISP filtering, same as when I was using a VoIP service for my home phone. I was able to work around it on the home phone but never on the FreedomPop phone.

Then I purchased a FreedomPop iPad Mini and found that it wasn't the ISP because the iOS FreedomPop app had no problems on the WiFi!! But no amount of tweaking the D-Link router would ever allow it to work, it took replacing the router to get it working.

So you can test it and see if you are having the same problem, do the phones work when connected to other WiFi networks with different routers than the one you have? If so, it maybe your router that needs to go...
    On today's episode of "History in a Nutshell":

"Global warming", or "climate change" as it's now called, was created when two politicians were sitting around one day having a brandy and brainstorming on how they could put together their next government funded project that would be a sure-fire way to win the next election at the taxpayer's expense when one of them said to other "Hey, wouldn't it be GREAT if we could figure out how to tax the very air they breath??" ('they', of course, being you and me). Well the other politician happen to be Al Gore and the rest is a matter of history....
  • James LummelJames Lummel Posts: 63FreedomPop Newbie
    Hods58 said:

[...]
    Does the Mobile Data need to be on at all times (except when using wifi) for the phone to call & receive calls/texts ? [...]

Yes, you need some sort of data connection at all times for the calling AND the texting to work.

Though that MAY change when FreedomPop makes their Premium Voice Service available. It is supposed to determine if the data network is not adequate for voice communication and if not it then uses the voice network. But it is possible that you may STILL need a data network in order for that to work properly. Won't know till the service becomes available I guess.

BTW- you can restrict background data on many of the apps on the phone, but do NOT restrict background data on the FreedomPop messaging app or it will not work properly except on WiFi.
    On today's episode of "History in a Nutshell":

"Global warming", or "climate change" as it's now called, was created when two politicians were sitting around one day having a brandy and brainstorming on how they could put together their next government funded project that would be a sure-fire way to win the next election at the taxpayer's expense when one of them said to other "Hey, wouldn't it be GREAT if we could figure out how to tax the very air they breath??" ('they', of course, being you and me). Well the other politician happen to be Al Gore and the rest is a matter of history....
  • Hods58Hods58 Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I have the send text and calling others working on the phone but the receiving calls & texts do not work (using either data or wifi). Any ideas on what could be causing this ? Already done the update PRL, Profile, resets etc.
  • Gee BeeGee Bee Posts: 22FreedomPop Newbie
    okay said:

This is normal behavior for FreedomPop phones They use VOIP (voice over internet) for their voice service, rather than Sprint's usual voice service. The phone number in Settings is the number that Sprint sees, but not the number you are using on FreedomPop's service. Just ignore it. It's a "feature" not a bug.

Okay, thanks! I'll quit trying to "fix" it.
  • demetriojamesdemetriojames Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    Thank you! this fixed the issue!
  • FanOfFreedomPopFanOfFreedomPop Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    I just received my LG Optimus phone.
    I need to do the following. Please send me the link on how to do these

1) Cancelling Visual Voicemail.
    I was told on forum I can cancel this service before I start using the phone.
    Right now there is a charge for this service on my billing account.
    How do I remove that since it was billed to me when I first ordered it.
    Please end me a link on where I can do this.

2) Let say I got a new phone number from Freedompop first, and
    then after everything works, I like to transfer number my personal (existing) number from other current carrier to my freedompop phone. Can this be done?

How do I deal with the existing freedompop number on the phone then?

Partial self answer:
    I can get new phone Number here:
    http://www.freedompop.com/offer/lgoptimus2999promo/choose_phone_number?experience=lgoptimus2999promo.default&funnelName=lgoptimus2999promo

Where is the non-promo link for getting a new phone number?
  • Andy EdmondsAndy Edmonds Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I have been trying to get some help with my F3 all week to no avail. I have a 3 second delay in when people hear me and when the person on the other line speaks, after about 3 seconds they hear themselves echoing back. I have not been able to get any help from anyone on this.
  • Barry BBarry B Posts: 60FreedomPop Newbie
    Andy, I had the same issue and this cleared it up for me:

1) go to messaging app---click on top left corner of the screen and in the options click settings.
    2) select audio, then check echo cancellation

Hope that helps
  • Jordan OssmannJordan Ossmann Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I still cannot make or receive calls while on WiFi. I've called tech support twice, and each time I was promised a return call for resolution of this issue. I'm still waiting.
  • Roberto FerrariRoberto Ferrari Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    1) I just got the phone and it says 24 days left. Why did I lose one week of service?
    2) Messaging screen is not working. After I type a number to text, I press OK but it's like pressing CANCEL. Why ? Is it the phone or FreedomPop software ?
    3) It's taking forever for simple questions to be answered by Customer Support. I tried emails, this forum and Facebook.
  • latinasoylatinasoy Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I paid and ordered my phone 2 weeks ago. Where is it.
  • Jordon RobertsonJordon Robertson Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I noticed that the update for messenger causes a problem. I can call but the other person can't hear me and they can't call me. they say it just rings. I downgraded to factory and it worked fine, but I have to keep updating the prl and user data if I restart my phone. I have called and I got help but they had to escalate me and I have not heard from tech support yet. How do I stop this cycle of having to keep updating the prl, user data, and also update to the latest freedompop messenger without having to always undo the update?
  • AjayAjay Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    When people speak to me, they hear a terrible echo - "echo noise cancellation" does not solve the problem. Nobody wants to speak to me on this phone.
  • Tracy CleaverTracy Cleaver Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I ordered my phone on 5-01 and still haven't received it. Any help would be appreciated.