Traveling Internationally. Need my S4 deactivated for a local sim.

Annette AmarasenaAnnette Amarasena Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
I'm currently traveling outside the US in a country that is not supported for a Freedompop International call plan. I want to deactivate the Galaxy S4 on my plan for the month. I tried calling support, but they are closed.

Comments

• djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015 #2
    @Annette Amarasena
    I don't think you need to deactivate the phone. If you are on a free plan with no services, there should be no charge. If on any monthly plans or services, you can downgrade them to free for the period you are away.

What you do need to do is unlock your Sim for international use. I do not know if FreedomPop does that but try to contact customer service. There is also an app that can do that for you: http://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-galaxy-s5/general/sprint-samsung-unlocker-unlock-sprint-t2928250

Please note that you will need to purchase a local SIM to get local voice or data service in the country you are visiting.
  • Aisha FichtnerAisha Fichtner Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Has anyone been able to do this? I am in the same situation. An email to freedompop - they said they don't unlock phones. Here is their terrible response: (19 days later)

"Good Morning! Thank you for contacting FreedomPop's email support team! We sincerely apologize for the delayed response as well as any inconvenience this may have caused.

Unfortunately, we don't have any codes or instructions to unlock a device. We don't accept unlocked devices.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Have a great day!"

• djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015 #4
    @Aisha Fichtner @Annette Amarasena

The link I posted above only works to unlock SIMs for international use. It will not work to unlock your phone for domestic use on another carrier. Check that thread for models supported. It does work with the S4, but if you have a FreedomPop-branded phone, it may not.