**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

How do you disable FreedomPop's integration with the Android dialer.

Leonard CohenLeonard Cohen Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
I posted a question on this the other day, but the person who answered misunderstood the question and now I cannot figure out how to mark it as unanswered.

I followed the steps on how to make my FreedomPop phone, LG Optimus, work with GV. I installed GV and voice+ apps and followed the instructions for the changing the settings. My phone rings when calling my GV number and works well. Now I’d like to setup calling out using the main dialer.

The threads here say to use the FP messaging app, go the menu, choose settings, and look for “easy configuration”. I can pull from the left the menu and choose settings, but that shows a menu that says “preferences” and has three options, Audio, Call, and Network. Clicking Call has two options for DTMF and one for voice mail uri. There is no “integrate with android” option. It seems that integration is now automatic. Is there any way to make FreedomPop not integrated into the dialer, or is there another option to make calls using my GV number without using my data?

Best Answer

Answers

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    To de-integrate go to your app permission settings and for calls check the normal phone app.
  • Leonard CohenLeonard Cohen Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    How do you do that?
  • Dennis BourniqueDennis Bournique Posts: 135FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    It's not possible to disable the native dialer integration in the current version FP Messaging.

But Hangouts has its own dialer and doesn't use the native dialer so there's would be no benefit to disabling FreedomPop Messaging's Android integration. if it were possible.

On my BYOP phone I've replaced the native dialer shortcut on the homescreen with the Hangouts Dialer shortcut. I've also deleted the FreedomPop Messaging app because I don't use it.

But Hangouts has its own dialer and doesn't use the native dialer so there's would be no benefit to disabling FreedomPop Messaging's Android integration. if it were possible.

But does that use data or voice on my plan?

• Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    What @Katya S said. The new app does not have the option. This is something I would like to have too. I will post something if I figure it out. For now, you only option is using the Google Voice website to make the call (which is not a good option for me since I have 2 Google accounts with contacts).
    I found it! Thank you for helping! But it took some more snooping, I'm going to leave some steps here in case anyone is as new as me and doesn't know where anything is.

Hold down the Messaging app until the screen changes (just a second) and drag the icon to the top left of the screen and let go over the App info button.
    For me, the info screen reported: version 16.01.181.0502
    Tap [OK] to go back to the home screen.

Home Screen->[menu button]->System settings->(scroll down to (Device section)Apps
    Messaging will be in the Downloaded list if there is an update. (If it is not listed there, it means there was no update. Though, it will still be listed under the All list.)
    Tap Messaging, tap uninstall button, tap OK.

Back on the home screen, App info for Messaging now reports: version 15.07.227.0128

Now!, Messaging->[left-side menu]->Settings->Easy configuration->tap Integrate with Android (so the checkmark goes away.->tap Save button (on bottom of screen)

Of course, you need to turn off auto update so you don't lose this precious version:
    Google Play->[left-side menu]->Settings->Auto-update apps->Do not auto-update apps

Now making a call is easy. After dialing, Voice+ (integration is checked) presents a choice of the Google Voice phone or (FreedomPop) Phone.
    To make it automatic: Voice+->Default call type->Always Google Voice

Thank you everybody!
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    Glad that you can still roll back to the old version. If you can root, install Titanium Backup, then backup and freeze the program, you can keep it in case you have to do a factory reset. This will not work in every case if it is not backed up, especially for BYOD devices.
  • Joe EvertonJoe Everton Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I arrived at the same sequence of steps as Leonard, and got the freedompop messaging integration turned off. I was still having problems with my phone, though. At times I couldn't make calls, or receive calls. I heard that the ZTE works more reliably if you upgrade it to jellybean, so I tried that this morning. Unfortunately, with this version there isn't an ancient version of FreedomPop's messaging app to uninstall to -- it just removes the app for me. So, I now have a supposedly more stable version of the OS, but I can't configure that setting anymore. Anybody figure out another way to disable that integration?

I arrived at the same sequence of steps as Leonard, and got the freedompop messaging integration turned off. I was still having problems with my phone, though. At times I couldn't make calls, or receive calls. I heard that the ZTE works more reliably if you upgrade it to jellybean, so I tried that this morning. Unfortunately, with this version there isn't an ancient version of FreedomPop's messaging app to uninstall to -- it just removes the app for me. So, I now have a supposedly more stable version of the OS, but I can't configure that setting anymore. Anybody figure out another way to disable that integration?

I have put in a request to the dev team. I hope there is enough of us to warrant an change in the Messaging program.
  • Nicholas JankowskiNicholas Jankowski Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie

Unfortunately, with this version there isn't an ancient version of FreedomPop's messaging app to uninstall to

ugh... was so hopeful there for a minute. here's hoping someone finds another workaround or they make it an option.
  • Joe EvertonJoe Everton Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I finally gave up, cancelled my accounts, reclaimed my phones, and signed up with a different BYOSD (non-voip) service. They're both running JB, and they're both working great. It's not free, but it's close enough. With refurb units it's hard to tell whether to blame the hardware or the freedompop software or the freedompop service. Just FYI, I've ruled out the hardware.
  • nickjuly4nickjuly4 Posts: 14FreedomPop Newbie
    In the newer versions of the FreedomPop Messaging app they pointlessly removed the app's advanced settings such as Android dialer integration, support for multiple calls and many other options. Thankfully, I saved a backup copy of the app's apk for several older versions. I always do that just in case app developers put out bad updates for whatever reason, so I can easily roll back to an older version.

The newest FP Messaging apk I have before the bad update is version 15.07.227.0128

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to simply install the apk over the newer version like I was able to do with other apps so I had to do a complete uninstall and reinstall using the apk and I lost all my saved text messages.
  • TeXcoderTeXcoder Posts: 26FreedomPop Newbie

...On my BYOP phone I've replaced the native dialer shortcut on the homescreen with the Hangouts Dialer shortcut. I've also deleted the FreedomPop Messaging app because I don't use it.

Do you have Premium Voice, or can you delete the FreedomPop Messaging app as a regular VOIP subscriber? I stopped being able to make calls without the messaging app, possibly when my Premium Voice trial ended.
  • nickjuly4nickjuly4 Posts: 14FreedomPop Newbie
    edited February 2016 #16
    I found a way to disable the integration with Android dialer that seems to work, though it requires a rooted device and a root file explorer (like Root Browser) unless there's some other way to do it.

- Launch Root Browser (or any other root file explorer)
    - Navigate to the root directory of your phone (in Root Browser tap the home icon in the top left corner of the screen)
    - Navigate to the /data/data/com.freedompop.phone/shared_prefs/ folder
    - Tap com.freedompop.phone_preferences.xml file, then RB Text Editor (if using Root Browser)
    - Scroll to the bottom of the file and tap the end of the second line (before </map>), then press enter
    - Either manually type or copy and paste the following text:
        <boolean name="integrate_with_native_dialer" value="false" />

- Save the file (the floppy icon on the top right corner of Root Browser) then press back and restart your phone
    - Launch the Settings app, then go to Apps, then go to the FreedomPop Messaging app and press Force Stop, then press OK.
    - You should be able to use the regular dialer now.
    Post edited by nickjuly4 on
  • Sean 21Sean 21 Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    You know you guys can use your Google Voice number via the regular Google Voice app. Note: this won't work with Premium Voice subscription though. Using the Google Voice app click2call feature you can have your GV number call your FreedomPop number and then it'll connect you to who you called. I really like this click2call feature as you can have GV call any of your verified forwarding numbers.
  • maxqfmaxqf Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    nickjuly4 said:

I found a way to disable the integration with Android dialer that seems to work, though it requires a rooted device and a root file explorer (like Root Browser) unless there's some other way to do it.

- Launch Root Browser (or any other root file explorer)
    - Navigate to the root directory of your phone (in Root Browser tap the home icon in the top left corner of the screen)
    - Navigate to the /data/data/com.freedompop.phone/shared_prefs/ folder
    - Tap com.freedompop.phone_preferences.xml file, then RB Text Editor (if using Root Browser)
    - Scroll to the bottom of the file and tap the end of the second line (before </map>), then press enter
    - Either manually type or copy and paste the following text:
        <boolean name="integrate_with_native_dialer" value="false" />

- Save the file (the floppy icon on the top right corner of Root Browser) then press back and restart your phone
    - Launch the Settings app, then go to Apps, then go to the FreedomPop Messaging app and press Force Stop, then press OK.
    - You should be able to use the regular dialer now.

Thanks dude, it works for me. You don't need root the phone, you just need to hack the bools.xml file and generate a new APK, then install the hacked APK.