Direct Wi-Fi connection to 3rd party ISP - Counted against monthly 500MB Data limit?

johnsonrjohnsonr Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
Currently, via a 3rd party ISP, my family has unlimited DSL usage in our home (which we use for Windows and Linux computers).

I am thinking of getting a FreedomPop phone with either FreedomPop's Basic mobile phone service or Unlimited Talk/Text.

If I do, and I use this phone (at home) to access the Internet via direct Wi-Fi connection to our router (which is connected to our unlimited DSL), would that usage count against my monthly FreedomPop 500MB Data limit?

Best Answers

Answers

• djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @johnsonr
    Wifi connections should not count against your data plan limit, however Voice and Text plan limits still apply.
  • comintelcomintel Posts: 354FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Certainly not.
  • comintelcomintel Posts: 354FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Certainly not.
  • johnsonrjohnsonr Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    djinks said:

@johnsonr
    Wifi connections should not count against your data plan limit, however Voice and Text plan limits still apply.

So, is it that anytime you use the phone's dialer, it uses talk minutes.

What about making a call to a landline via Google Voice initiated from a Web browser, or making a call to a landline via Skype?

Those wouldn't count against the phone's monthly talk minute limit, would they?

Thank you.
  • johnsonrjohnsonr Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    djinks said:

@johnsonr
    The FreedomPop app will always record voice minutes and texts against your plan limits. If you use the Hangouts Dialer or other VOIP third party app, you will be using pure data and over wifi that data will not count against you plan's data limit. Using the native will usually not work unless you have integrated it with the VOIP app you are using.

If you initiate a call via Google Voice in a browser, and it calls your FreedomPop number, you will be using your plan minutes.

If you initiate a call via Google Voice in a browser, and it calls your phone via a third party VOIP app linked to a different, non-FP phone number assigned by a VOIP service, then:
    If on 3G or 4G, it will be using your plan data
    If on WiFi, it will NOT be using your plan data.

Thanks for your helpful explanation.