When will freedompop support sending and receiving MMS/Picture messaging to non freedompop users?

Matthew CarlisleMatthew Carlisle Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
Currently when sending an MMS message to a non freedompop user, they receive a link to view the picture in their browser. However they cannot send a picture back. Currently Textfree and Hangouts with integrated google voice supports this. When will freedompop?

Answers

• pikenpiken Posts: 124FreedomPop Newbie
    This to me has to be the biggest negative feature missing on FP.

You would think it would be priority number one.

But I would not wait or count on it being implemented.
    (May not even be possible with the current software)

I'm setting up a phone for my mother and she is really not
    going to understand why she can't text people pictures any more.

I have installed "WhatsApp" on our phones. Allows everything but
    only to people that have WhatsApp installed.

I would be willing to pay FP extra for MMS or if I could find an
    app that does MMS and also has their own gateway to other carries
    I'd pay for that too.

I guess you could just go the whole hangouts/hangouts dialer/google voice and
    port your FP number to hangouts. Then just use FP for data only.

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is actually something which will be deployed in the next few months!
  • Robert AlemanRobert Aleman Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    I sure hope so.
  • WeAreNotAloneWeAreNotAlone Posts: 61FreedomPop Newbie
    Ali said:

And is it going to be part of ALL packages as in "included" in ALL packages /plans, or a "Service" you have to pay extra for?

People these days expect to be able to text a pic of something.

• Gregory VernonGregory Vernon Posts: 141FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭

Ali said:

And is it going to be part of ALL packages as in "included" in ALL packages /plans, or a "Service" you have to pay extra for?

People these days expect to be able to text a pic of something.

Don't give them any ideas! Since you can already send MMS to FreedomPop members, my guess is that it will be included - or IT SHOULD be included.
  • kiipuakiipua Posts: 25FreedomPop Newbie
    Ali said:

Is there a beta trial right now? Can FP subscribers "volunteer" (for beta testing)?

• kiipuakiipua Posts: 25FreedomPop Newbie
    edited June 2015 #8
    piken said:

This to me has to be the biggest negative feature missing on FP.

You would think it would be priority number one.

But I would not wait or count on it being implemented.
    (May not even be possible with the current software)

I'm setting up a phone for my mother and she is really not
    going to understand why she can't text people pictures any more.

I have installed "WhatsApp" on our phones. Allows everything but
    only to people that have WhatsApp installed.

I would be willing to pay FP extra for MMS or if I could find an
    app that does MMS and also has their own gateway to other carries
    I'd pay for that too.

I guess you could just go the whole hangouts/hangouts dialer/google voice and
    port your FP number to hangouts. Then just use FP for data only.

FYI. Just successfully sent an MMS msg with a pic attached to my FreedomPop BYOD LG Viper from a Virgin Mobile LG Tribute. Both phones are on Sprint's network. The MMS was addressed directly to the "My phone number" located in System settings/About phone/Phone identity.

So, it appears possible to send MMS msgs btw phones on Sprint's network if the MMS is addressed to the System settings/About phone/Phone identity/My Phone number (in the case of an LG Viper) of the receiving phone.

Caveat: This was only a one-off test. It's entirely possible Sprint may blacklist phones that regularly receive MMS msgs to the internal phone# Sprint assigns to an MVNO phone.
    Post edited by kiipua on
  • Scott EddyScott Eddy Posts: 42FreedomPop Newbie
    Any update on this?
  • Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,387 admin
    @Scott Eddy MMS coming really soon! Stay tuned through social media!
    Social media? Can you be more specific?
    Any idea on timing. I just ported my daughter to FreedomPop, but she is very unhappy that we can get MMS or group messages. I may have to switch her back to someone else until this is resolved.
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @Scott Eddy
    Install Google Hangouts and use that for all messaging. You can also install the Hangouts Dialer and use your/her Google Voice number for all calls.
    Yeah, if I had known this a problem before she switched to FreedomPop, I would have done that at the beginning & ported her old number to Google Voice. As it stands, she already had to get a new number since FreedomPop couldn't port her old number, then another new number for Google Voice.

I'm disappointed this limitation wasn't mentioned anywhere I could see before I switched everything over.
    hey........ did MMS start working? To my surprise someone texted me last night with some photos of a project they are working on (they didn't know I cant receive images). I went to read text and there was "images" along with the text.

I've also sent/texted several images back and forth with another persons phone and it is working.

Only thing I don't know is if it's just with other sprint phones. Both peeps I was sending/receiving from are on sprint.

anyways, it's a little ruff, but working. Attaching gives me several choices of where to get my image but only camera downloads work. Gallery, dropbox, etc all don't.

But seems like a start. Am I imagining this (MMS with FP) ??????

• Matthew CarlisleMatthew Carlisle Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    MMS messaging has begun working on my device (galaxy S3). I have been able to send pictures and receive pictures. I have been able to send MMS/Pictures to individuals using verizon , sprint, and Tmobile. Thank you Freedompop for enabling this long awaited feature!
    edited August 2015 #18
    Did you have to update your messaging app? So far, it's not working for me.
    Post edited by Scott Eddy on
    edited August 2015 #19
    My FreedomPop Messaging app is up to date. How do I get the special treatment?
    no update that I'm aware of (.0721) just special I guess B)
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    If MMS is being rolled out on FP, will the Messaging app be vulnerable to the Stagefright exploit?

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/07/28/the-stagefright-hole-in-android-what-you-need-to-know/

• weanutweanut Posts: 309FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015 #22
    for some reason i for the most part have usually been able to mms with freedompop & non freedompop users on various networks. i have a freedompop s3, my bf has a byod s3. we can both do this. no idea why, directly through the freedompop messaging app. for me this was almost as soon as i got the phone in january. no group messaging though, that would be handy. no complaints, it'll happen. i can really understand your daughter's frustration Scott , no special treatment involved, just one of those mysteries i guess. hoping someone can shed some light on this for you, will see what i can find out. thanks for your patience, nothing like a disappointed kid.
  • weanutweanut Posts: 309FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @Scott Eddy what model phone does she have?
    Samsung Victory
    Do you have this?

"Hello, and thank you for contacting FreedomPop's email support team!

When the user adds the package of our Premium plus or Phone premier you get the ability to send and receive Picture messages."
    So, I added Premium Plus & presto - she can now receive pictures & group messages. I haven't got her to send me a picture, yet & I doubt she can send group messages, but at least she can now get the group messages from her coaches. I send back a reply to the Helpdesk recommending they add that to the advertised list of features for those packages.