Data speed very slow since last night

lynda doylelynda doyle Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
Since last night at about 9PM my data has been very slow. It went from 1-2mbps to 0.05mbps.
I have tried a profile update and a prl update but i still get the same results.

I also have an iPhone with freedompop and the service on their is working perfectly so i have no idea what the problem is.

Comments

• olrsolrs Posts: 410FreedomPop Newbie
    @lynda doyle What plan do you have? Someone else on the unlimited plan reported unusually slow usage after reaching the 1 GB of high speed data allowed. It should be throttled to 3G speeds but they're getting very slow speeds.
  • lynda doylelynda doyle Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    @olrs I have the unlimited plan.I used up all of my 4G data so i'm throttled but it usually isn't this slow.
    Usually my throttled speeds are 1-2mbps
    @Clark Landry is experiencing something similar.

@lynda doyle You can look here: https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/9130/slow-data-service#latest

@Ali Is it possible they changed the throttling speed? I hope not.
  • Benjamin MoserBenjamin Moser Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    My symptoms are nearly identical to original poster. My phone is all but useless. I am typing this on an office PC where I volunteer :) Hope just a temporary glitch?
    @olrs I have the exact same problem as Clark Landry,except on the freedompop app it says Data left: Unlimited
    @lynda doyle @Benjamin Moser @Clark Landry

So, there are three people now that are reporting extremely slow data speeds. I'm hoping it is a glitch and that they didn't change the throttling speeds. The main advantage to the plan was unlimited full 3G speeds in my opinion.

Have any of you contacted support regarding this? You can send an email to [email protected]

Please keep everyone updated.
    @olrs I just contacted them
    @lynda doyle

Great! Please let us know what they say.

And just for the fun of it please also let us know how long it takes to get a response.
  • waterman1979waterman1979 Posts: 25FreedomPop Newbie
    I am also having the same problem as of today after getting premium voice
    @waterman1979

Thank you for reporting the problem.
  • Gil G.Gil G. Posts: 39FreedomPop Newbie
    I also have a Virgin Mobile account (Sprint) and noticed the data speed on that is slower than FreedomPop's. There has to be a glitch with Sprint, and I'm sure this is temporary.
  • waterman1979waterman1979 Posts: 25FreedomPop Newbie
    Glad to hear about the Virgin Mobile speeds also, I really like Freedompop and hope that it is just a Sprint glitch
    I sure hope so. I like FP due to it being inexpensive (or free). If Virgin has same troubles that implies Sprint has the problem.
    I have posted many comments and a lot seem to be "getting lost." I don't think I've said anything too bad, just that I'm experiencing glacial data. A partial improvement today (06/01): my 1G "unlimited" service is still glacial (~6 KB/sec.) but my "free" phone (Identical) begins its monthly cycle today and as of 4:30 PM EDT I was getting 4G-like speeds (< 1 Mb/sec.) My "unlimited" renews tomorrow (06/02); let's see if I get fast speed on the 1G of 4G and then how slow it gets throttled to. If it goes back down to this past weekend's "dial up" speeds, I will probably go back to DSL service in the home. I will be sad to give up on FreedomPop but... if it's any consolation, I've already tried a rival wireless service (MetroPCS/T-Mobile) and the service in my home was even worse than the Sprint Signal. That phone was returned for refund today. I've priced other wireless data offers and I'd rather have FreedomPop, AT&T DSL ($41/mo) or "I'll just use the wi-fi in the local restaurant", in that order :)

I was dilligent enough to brave the Dreaded Hold Time and actually spoke with a human tech who made me do the usual remedies to the slow phone, and of course these made absolutely no difference. I even opened a trouble ticket #. I pay for that line so have at least some expectations for service.
    OK, this is weird! As of about 10:00 PM (EDT), I powered up my Unlimited 1GB phone and now I have abnormally fast 4G data :) I can't give a good estimate, but am doing a big download (Firefox) and was seeing peaks around 3 Mb (bit)/sec. This is about the best I've ever seen, going back to Sep. 2014. Prior to the disaster of last Friday, I was used to such high rates during my 1 GB high speed allotment, and throttled was typically around 600Kb/sec. This is all the more interesting becasue per the Messaging app, I am still at the end of my monthly cycle and thus shouldn't be in un-throttled mode. Thanks to whomever fixed it.
    Win some, lose some :p

Around 0600 I checked and connection is still good, and I am seeing my "normal" (reasonable) throttle speeds of around 600 Kb/sec. I checked online and yes my data usage shows I've burned up my 1G monthly use already...also not unprecedented. In sum, my data is back to what I consider normal/good.

Now the billing errors :#

The web site and Messaging both claimed account suspended due to billing error. I re-entered my credit card info WHICH SHOULD NOT HAVE CHANGED ANYTIME RECENTLY! and sure enough I am billed my monthly fee.

Both web site and Messaging app, however, still both show "0 days left" on my billing cycle...? Wait, just refreshed page (06:28 AM) and now it looks good.

Meanwhile, claims the web page, I haven't used any of my cycle's 1 GB data...?

At least right now, I am back to normal data speeds, and will be interested to see what happens when I blow June's 1 GB allotment (or why it thinks I haven't already!).

Anybody else care to report on how their data speeds have changed (if any)?
  • James SewellJames Sewell Posts: 67FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @Benjamin Moser almost nothing is fixed for me as i use 3g since sprint lte is not strong for me no matter what the Map says as i need to go a block down the street to get lte. Speeds on 3G is 56k for me. However i have had some of the best pings ever doing this slow speed time so calls have been the best ever, lol.

On my android 56k speeds down and up

On my iphone .02mbps down and .75mbps up (upload is near normal)
  • JazneoJazneo Posts: 24FreedomPop Newbie
    I have the same problem only reason i got 3g because unlimited 2mb line. It feel like they downgrade 2g and relabel it 3g

2g is 560kbps

3g is spouse to be near 3 mb

4g is up to 10mb

• Gil G.Gil G. Posts: 39FreedomPop Newbie
    Enjoyed my 3/4G speeds until I got throttled back down to 2G. As the saying goes, "You get what you paid for!"
    Sprint need to fix this or CEO of sprint start **** there own customer for money there was news about sprint talk about unlimited data might be shutdown
    @Jazneo i'm sure they will grandfather like att & Verizon. I buy used phones anyways so i could lock into sprint. Thing is i would like to lock in with FP as long as i get full 3g and full lte in the future.... as spark lte would be premium in the future with lte being second class.
    I really don't think this is a Sprint issue. It seems to be FreedomPop throttling.

That is why when the throttling is over speeds go back to normal.

@Benjamin Moser

It seems the representative wasted your time and their own. They did troubleshooting when there isn't anything wrong with the phone. I wonder how much money is being wasted paying support to do stuff like that. I guess a memo hasn't gone out to all of the agents explaining this is a widespread problem?

Are you still getting decent throttled speeds? I'm wondering if the speeds get slower the more you use. After 1 GB 3G speeds, then after 1.5 GB 2G speeds, etc. Just an idea.
    olrs said:

I really don't think this is a Sprint issue. It seems to be FreedomPop throttling.

That is why when the throttling is over speeds go back to normal.

@Benjamin Moser

It seems the representative wasted your time and their own. They did troubleshooting when there isn't anything wrong with the phone. I wonder how much money is being wasted paying support to do stuff like that. I guess a memo hasn't gone out to all of the agents explaining this is a widespread problem?

Are you still getting decent throttled speeds? I'm wondering if the speeds get slower the more you use. After 1 GB 3G speeds, then after 1.5 GB 2G speeds, etc. Just an idea.

It was sprint upgrade the towers. my speed went back upt 2mb at 8pm
    @olrs but the throttling varies accross my devices. Iphone 5 download speed is 2 KB/sec which is unusable, but the upload is 95 KB/sec.

Android is 10KB/sec up and down...hence i can post on the forums.

now, I don't know how you explain the differences between phones unless they use different APN for android and iphone.

Sprint sets the priority, congestion, & throttle for APN of the mvnos based on the lease agreements. And sprint customers will always come first. I feel like sprint has an error that changed the congestion algorithms. But with no word from FP it makes it sound like a FP doing that i can't completely rule out.