Forum weirdness

limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
The Vanilla software FP uses to run the forum is unknown to me (it's different from any other forums that I've been on), so maybe this is by design or something, but...
  • Check out the Categories list on the right side - look for the LG Optimus F3 category. Note that it shows 0 (presumably posts) - click on it anyway. Now note that a page of posts under the LG Optimus F3 banner are now listed. If those figures are a post count, then they're definitely off...

• When new comments are added to a particular discussion, sometimes that discussion gets promoted to near the top of the forum discussion list (after the sticky/announcement ones) - other times, this doesn't happen - I've not been able to figure out any particular rhyme or reason for when this does or doesn't occur...

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @limey It's because Vanilla doesn't count posts in the sidebar from moderated accounts for some weird reason. As for comment appearance if a non-moderated user comments then the post will bounce up like normal however if it's a moderated user's post showing then it will not bounce up to the top.
  • olrsolrs Posts: 410FreedomPop Newbie
    @limey

It would be nice if they would switch to vBulletin or even a better free forum program. I don't really like this system and as far as I know it doesn't have a mobile app to go with it.

I'm not sure why they chose it but I guess they have their reasons.
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @Ali Thanks for the explanation - whilst that does seem to accurately describe what's happening, I cannot understand why it would be designed to work that way.

It makes no sense to differentiate between approved posts from moderated accounts & posts from unmoderated ones. Also, given that on most forums, topics tend to wither & die once they're off the 1st couple of pages, you end up with what would otherwise be active discussions prematurely kicking the bucket & the same topics getting repeated in new discussions...
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @olrs This is the case mainly since vBulletin is just software and not able to be hosted by FreedomPop itself. The forums is hosted by Vanilla itself and handles most of the load which makes it an ideal solution, plus it looks prettier too!

@limey This mainly goes because of the decision to moderate posts.
  • Casey GunterCasey Gunter Posts: 27FreedomPop Newbie
    My opinion is the decision to moderate every post is pretty much annoying. If there are MODs and other's with the ability to delete posts and posts can be flagged why make EVERY post wait for approval??

It just really slows down everything. People who need help have to wait much much longer. Their post needs approval, then someone's response need approval, etc. etc.

Has it always been this way here? Was it a solution to a problem or just the way it's been? If it was a solution, was the community as big as it is now and maybe there could be a different solution now?
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    I recently realized another oddity at play - one of the nice features of the Vanilla config is the ability to notify particular forum users in a post via the "@username" construct. Also, clicking on one of these in a post will take you to that user's profile page.

However, I've noticed that if the username happens to include a space character, then the latter capability is broken - in these cases, the URL it always points to is simply https://forums.freedompop.com/profile/ - I wonder if the notification might also be borked for these usernames?