What will replace the Freedom Hub?

Usually BefuddledUsually Befuddled Posts: 41FreedomPop Newbie
I'm wonder what LTE gear will replace the Hub.
I'm seeking something with wired/RJ45 connectivity as well as wireless.
Any hope?

Comments

• comintelcomintel Posts: 330FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @'Usually Befuddled'

Probably they will not say until close to of in November, because in the meantime they are successfully selling "LTE upgrades" of semi-useless 803S etc. to large numbers of Hub Burst users, thereby reducing the number of remaining Hub Burst users who need to be accommodated as of Nov. 6.

I think there will be a fixed replacement for the Hub Burst, but it is not in their interest to announce it yet. Or for Sprint to do so, which is successfully reducing the population of Clear Hub Express users by similar tactics.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @cominel nailed it. FreedomPop should announce something coming closer to the WiMAX shutdown day but it is very likely that a replacement device will arrive.
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @comintel Why do you say the 803s is semi-useless? Apart from it arriving with a knackered battery (which FP replaced), I've been pretty happy with mine thus far.

@Usually Befuddled It's a workaround, but if you get hold of an Asus RT-N66 router, the 803s hotspot can be connected to it by USB, providing either a primary WAN connection, or a fail-over secondary WAN.
  • comintelcomintel Posts: 330FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @limey
    I probably should not have used that term. You have been innovative with the USB connection to the router.

However as a replacement for the Hub Burst, I would want a device that is designed for fixed use that supports the current Sprint Spark bands - 2600 for high speeds and 800 for in-building use. The 803S is a semi-obsolete device no longer offered by Sprint that supports only the old LTE 1900 MHz band and 3G.

There are indications that any Sprint special high-volume data pricing may only be on the band on which it has excess capacity - namely 2600 MHz.

Also I want a higher-powered device, not battery powered, to get decent upload speeds. Portable and fixed devices are best kept separate imho.

Sprint has such devices:
    http://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2014/02212014-NETGEAR-LTE-Gateway-6100D.aspx

They are not all that expensive either. So there is no reason FreedomPop cannot offer them when the time comes.

• Peter RussoPeter Russo Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I am confused about this talk of "replacing" Hub Burst.
    I own 2 of them. Will they be totally worthless and not able to receive any Internet signal in November? I am quite pleased with taking them to places I could receive internet. I do expect to be reimbursed for them, if they suddenly "CANNOT" receive any internet signal for me.
  • 8977 Manning8977 Manning Posts: 50FreedomPop Newbie
    @Peter Russo I wouldn't plan on getting any reimbursement for those devices unless you've only had them for a very short time. Since you currently possess them, by November your 'very short time' will have come and gone. Yes sir, you are correct about them becoming useless in November. Hence the announcements that have been floating all around the internet, including the FP website. As far as them being worthless though, absolutely not, you can trade them in for something different. Which I would highly advise you explore more and more as we approach our November deadline. Good luck to you sir.
  • milleptmillept Posts: 24FreedomPop Newbie
    Has anyone seen any indication that Freedompop will replace the Hub with an LTE device and continue to offer home internet service? I wouldn't be surprised if they just dropped home internet service on Nov. 6. Their marketing is all directed toward phones and mifi devices.
  • David  WagnerDavid Wagner Posts: 27FreedomPop Newbie
    Millept:

FP hasn't anything firm yet. They've offered those portable, hand-sized pucks and those are battery-operated and their data costs 2X Hub burst data and their free data ends at 0.5 GB/mo.
  • Usually BefuddledUsually Befuddled Posts: 41FreedomPop Newbie
    Santa:
    I'm still looking for a new puck or RJ45 unit. All I'm seeing is phones, phones, phones...