Does the FP S3 w/ FP custom ROM & 4.4.2 support. . .

MiFi 4082MiFi 4082 Posts: 32FreedomPop Newbie
The use of a SD Card?

Best Answer

Answers

• @Sprinter MiFi4082‌ All of our phones use Sprint SIM cards only.
  • MiFi 4082MiFi 4082 Posts: 32FreedomPop Newbie
    I was asking about the external storage (microSD card) and the answer is. . .Yes. I bought one and installed it! I am pretty sure it is the iphones that use SIM cards.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sprinter MiFi4082‌ The S3 uses a SIM card if it is the LTE version.
    @Ali My FP S3 does not have an accessible/removable external SIM Slot or Card and still connects to the LTE network. I believe the World version does, is that the same as the LTE version?
  • Louis DiMeglioLouis DiMeglio Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    LTE is a GSM based protocol and requires a SIM card. This is true even if it is running in parallel with a CDMA based network like Sprint's. Take a look at http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/verizon-cdma-explained-1189551 for a poorly written overview article.
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014 #8
    There is a lot of confusing info on this thread. I can concur with @Sprinter MiFi4082‌ that my newly arrived Sam-Gal SIII has no sim card that I can see, even after removing the battery, yet I have 4g LTE signal in the announcement bar right next to the signal icon. @Louis DiMeglio@Ali‌ @K_Ber‌ @hankjrod‌. It does have a sd card slot only, inside the back cover and below the battery. SO what do we have here gents? Oh mine came from FP if that makes a difference!
    @MIGUEL LOPEZ‌ Since it is a refurb, it was probably re assembled differently. The UICC card is actually in the internals of the phone itself, so it will activate like a 3G device but will work with LTE. Also, your phone is a earlier model without the external SIM card in it, so that's why there isn't one on the outside but one in the internals.
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that explanation @Ali, you saved me some research and eyesight time!..
    Lol glad I could help @MIGUEL LOPEZ
  • Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 Posts: 108FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan ✭✭✭
    ok.. so for argument sake.. if I wanted to take my FP SGS3 with me to, lets say, Argentina or Spain for the next six months.. and use a local SIM card for local service.. I would not be able to? @Ali‌ @MIGUEL LOPEZ
    XDA, Captain Picard, and NYC ==> All kick a$$!
    It appears that there is no place to put that sim card! Nes!
  • Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 Posts: 108FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan ✭✭✭

It appears that there is no place to put that sim card! Nes!

That still doesnt mean it's not possible. I'm just wondering if its something along the lines of... having to call Sprint/FreedomPop to have it disengaged from their services and then I have to call a local company down there to do it? but then again, this completly defeats the general purpose of having a SIM in the phone.. I dunno. All this just sounds like a dirty sprint tactic used on the masses for control. either way. I'm sure I can find an S3 or similar varients online for dirt cheap (under $100). But alas.. I am going no where anytime soon.
    This is a typical FP thread the OP asks a question that gets hijacked (why they are so hard to search.) My question about SD Card . . .answers and other questions about SIM Card . . . too funny!
  • hankjrodhankjrod Posts: 368FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭

This is a typical FP thread the OP asks a question that gets hijacked (why they are so hard to search.) My question about SD Card . . .answers and other questions about SIM Card . . . too funny!

How did my irrelevant answer become the 'Answer' :))
    @hankjrod I just wanted to end the Notifications and yours seemed like the best answer to the question I did not ask. You get a An Answered Question out of it ;) for your trouble. I found my answer by buying a SD card and sticking it in. Everybody wins!
    @Sprinter MiFi4082‌ You are right, we hijacked it. Sorry about that.
    @Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 It is not possible. The S3 CDMA version does not have a full set of GSM radios and only has LTE1900. It does NOT have any other GSM radios, so you're just out of luck internationally.
    just for general knowledge.. even tho i'm hoping it doesnt stick... what does LTE 1900 mean? besides the frequency... i mean.. does that say we have good/the best LTE speeds out there??? way better than t-mobile's = metro pcs and/or att's = Cricket?
    @Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3‌ The 1900 designation has nothing to do with speeds, just simply the frequency it is running on, in this case 1900MHz. Sprint is deploying LTE in the 800MHz, 1900MHz and 2500MHz frequency ranges. Certain frequencies have certain innate properties, for instance, the lower frequencies penetrate buildings better. 1900MHz is Sprint's primary LTE band.

Other carriers, deploy LTE on different frequencies because each of them rent a different part of the spectrum from the feds...

Here's an interesting article on LTE spectrum: http://goo.gl/NKX0xl