**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

FreedomPop Messaging used up almost all my data

I was surprised to get alerts tonight that I had used up almost all of my monthly data tonight when earlier today I was fine. I checked the data usage on my phone and your messaging app has used 2.55 GB of mobile data, most of it tonight. Can something be done about this? It wasn't actual usage on my part. Thanks.

Comments

• AlejandraGAlejandraG Posts: 5,813FreedomPop Newbie admin

I was surprised to get alerts tonight that I had used up almost all of my monthly data tonight when earlier today I was fine. I checked the data usage on my phone and your messaging app has used 2.55 GB of mobile data, most of it tonight. Can something be done about this? It wasn't actual usage on my part. Thanks.

Hi!
    We certainly understand that you find it impossible for our app to have used up that much data.
    Please be aware that Freedompop is a VOIP service in which we use data or over IP communications to give your device it's calling and texting capabilities.
    So any data used for calls, texts or actual data use, will always show altogether in the usage report that you see in your phone as this app is unable to tell the difference between what data was used for what.

Instead, to measure your data use, please use your online profile at my.freedompop.com. The usage monitoring option in our site has different banks for data, calls, and text instead. If you notice on your online data report activity you do not recognize, please contact us back with the exact times of this data history use, for us to check if it was not a bug.

• CaradocDataCaradocData Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm in the same boat after switching phones.
    Replaced my Galaxy S7 (broken screen) with a Meizu 16 import, moving the SIM card over on 12/31 and within a week the messaging app alone had used 8gb of data, including 2gb of mobile plan data draining my account. I rarely use the messaging app at all, no texts or calls, so what is it doing that every minute or so its using 2mb of data?
    Add to that, I signed up for premium VIP service to try to get support and when I try to create a ticket it says I'm not signed up for VIP service.
  • Lorie WitkopLorie Witkop Posts: 25FreedomPop Newbie
    I did see the unusual activity in the log of my data use, too. On 1/8, from 6:53 pm to 9:14 pm, there is a steady stream of 2MB of use when I was on wifi (and at a computer so generally not using my phone) and not making any calls or texting. I'd appreciate it if you could look into this further. Thanks.

I'm in the same boat after switching phones.
    Replaced my Galaxy S7 (broken screen) with a Meizu 16 import, moving the SIM card over on 12/31 and within a week the messaging app alone had used 8gb of data, including 2gb of mobile plan data draining my account. I rarely use the messaging app at all, no texts or calls, so what is it doing that every minute or so its using 2mb of data?
    Add to that, I signed up for premium VIP service to try to get support and when I try to create a ticket it says I'm not signed up for VIP service.

Hi!
    The Freedompop messaging app is always required for you to make calls and text.
    Also, keep in mind that to measure data, you have to monitor it from the usage report available at your Freedompop profile and not the maind usage app on your device.

I did see the unusual activity in the log of my data use, too. On 1/8, from 6:53 pm to 9:14 pm, there is a steady stream of 2MB of use when I was on wifi (and at a computer so generally not using my phone) and not making any calls or texting. I'd appreciate it if you could look into this further. Thanks.

Please keep in mind also about the three-hour delay in data reports. This means the timestamp on the usage online could be delayed up until three hours because we use major carrier networks but not own them. This means the usage could have taken place up till three hours before but you see it posted until that time.

Please keep in mind also about the three-hour delay in data reports. This means the timestamp on the usage online could be delayed up until three hours because we use major carrier networks but not own them. This means the usage could have taken place up till three hours before but you see it posted until that time.

The only time I truly used data that day was before noon and briefly after that string of 2MB but before I got the overage alert and shut down data completely. At no time in the day did I make a phone call or send a text message.

But I would have been willing to assume that it was a delayed report of my web browsing if my phone's data usage screen didn't show this:

It was all the Messaging app when I wasn't calling and texting.

The only time I truly used data that day was before noon and briefly after that string of 2MB but before I got the overage alert and shut down data completely. At no time in the day did I make a phone call or send a text message.

But I would have been willing to assume that it was a delayed report of my web browsing if my phone's data usage screen didn't show this:

It was all the Messaging app when I wasn't calling and texting.

Please avoid using to your native usage app to monitor usage.
    Not only this includes calls and texts but the fact that our service takes place over data and our messaging app is what is used to connect to our network and give your device the VOIP capability, any data used, even though it was used by another app, will always indicate that was consumed by the FP messaging app.

Can you please confirm your device's MEID number? This way we can look under the account and check the 2 MB data reports on 1/8, from 6:53 pm to 9:14 pm and confirm they are not bogus.
    Thank you. Is there a way to send that information privately? I'd rather not put my MEID number out on the public forum.

Thank you. Is there a way to send that information privately? I'd rather not put my MEID number out on the public forum.

I can edit it out later or if its registered under the email address you use for this forum, let me know the last 4 digits of the phone number.
    Yes, it's under this same email address - the last 4 digits are 5818. Thanks.

Yes, it's under this same email address - the last 4 digits are 5818. Thanks.

Hi! After looking under the account under the email that you use for this forum ending in 5818, we were unable to find any history between the times provided on 1/8, from 6:53 pm to 9:14 pm.

Because we need to look this up in our system, we need for you to check the timstamp on the usage hisotry at your online Freedompop profile instead opf your device's native app.

I am looking at my online Freedompop profile for that time range, and 1/8, from 6:53 pm to 9:14 pm is still what I see listed under data usage. Here's just one page of many:

I am looking at my online Freedompop profile for that time range, and 1/8, from 6:53 pm to 9:14 pm is still what I see listed under data usage. Here's just one page of many:

Are you positive is the account for phone number ending in 5818?
    Please check on the upper right hand corner that you have the correct one
    Yes, it's the account for phone number ending in 5818. I just double-checked, and the other account tied to this email address is an old SIM that isn't even active and I really just need to get removed.

Yes, it's the account for phone number ending in 5818. I just double-checked, and the other account tied to this email address is an old SIM that isn't even active and I really just need to get removed.

Even though the email has been used for other accounts, they are already canceled, but the system will not let us fully delete them.
    However, the 2 MB history you are disputing, is not bogus. Using the time and amount spent, we verified the use is legitimate and accurate.
    We are afraid that the amount of data consumed and if you were not using the device, possibly an app or automatic download on the background spent it.
    All right. Thank you for looking into it for me.
This discussion has been closed.