**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Need MSL code for HTC One V for Carrier Reset

stapfmstapfm Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
Hi, trying to get my phone working other than over Wifi.
Tried doing ##72586# carrier reset (as indicated in signup email), but it keeps prompting for a password.
From reading other postings it sounds like it may need the MSL code, but I did not receive one in any of the emails from FP, and it doesn't appear on the Devices screen on the website.
My FP phone # is 218-210-0809
What should I put in the password prompt? Or is there a different way to do carrier reset?

Thanks!

Answers

  • AlejandraGAlejandraG Posts: 5,178FreedomPop Newbie admin
    stapfm said:

    Hi, trying to get my phone working other than over Wifi.
    Tried doing ##72586# carrier reset (as indicated in signup email), but it keeps prompting for a password.
    From reading other postings it sounds like it may need the MSL code, but I did not receive one in any of the emails from FP, and it doesn't appear on the Devices screen on the website.
    My FP phone # is 218-210-0809
    What should I put in the password prompt? Or is there a different way to do carrier reset?

    Thanks!

    Hi! Let us see how we can help. We were unable to pull up the account and devices information with the phone number provided, can you please provide us with the MEID number of the device instead?
  • stapfmstapfm Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    Sorry, I thought I had included the MEID, but obviously I didn't.
    It's 270 113 181 115 025 827
  • AlejandraGAlejandraG Posts: 5,178FreedomPop Newbie admin
    stapfm said:

    Sorry, I thought I had included the MEID, but obviously I didn't.
    It's 270 113 181 115 025 827

    Thanks! We will give you the MSL code and the rest of the steps, for you to follow in order to be able to use the device in data:

    -Download or update to the latest version of the FreedomPop Text and Messaging app, available a the Play Store for Android.

    You can use this link directly: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freedompop.phone&hl=en

    Then:
    1. Select the menu button (located to the right of the home button)
    2. Tap Settings
    3. Tap More(upper right)
    4. Then scroll down and tap System Update
    . Select Update Profile and let it run fully (may take up to 90 seconds)
    6. After the network profile is updated, repeat the same steps, but this time select Update PRL instead of update profile

    After performing the PRL update please perform a carrier reset. In some cases, you will be asked for a password, which is your device's Master Subsidy Lock code (MSL): 703195
    If your device doesn't prompt you for an MSL code, then it is not needed to complete the reset.


    Here are the steps to reset:

    1. Disable WiFi and enable data if needed.
    2. Go to the dial pad or phone app.
    3. Enter # # 72786 #
    4. If prompted for a password, enter your MSL code. For some phones, you may need to tap the menu icon on the top right-hand corner.
    5. Confirm the reset.
    6. Allow the device to restart and go through the activation process
    Note: Some LTE devices can perform a carrier reset over a WiFi connection. If that doesn't work then follow step one before trying the carrier reset.


    -Sync Account Data

    Go to Menu on the app and scroll down until you find the option that reads "Sync Account".
  • stapfmstapfm Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks for all the info!

    I tried installing the FreedomPop Messaging Phone/SIM from the link you provided, but it says it's not compatible with my HTC One V. Pretty sure it's because the One V is running Android 4.0.3, and the app says it supports 4.1 and above. "Software updates" indicates there are no updates available for the phone.

    I side loaded an older version of the FP Messaging app (22.00.1068.0202) that supposedly supports 4.0, but there is no "More" or "System Updates" that I can see from "Settings" under the "3 bars / hamburger" menu in the upper left of the app. The nearest thing might be "Advanced settings - audio and network settings", but it's grayed out and doesn't do anything. That means I haven't been able to do a Profile Update nor a PRL update.

    Do you know of an official/semi-official version of the app that may work better? Or a different way to do a Profile and PRL updates?

    I appreciate all the help!
  • AlejandraGAlejandraG Posts: 5,178FreedomPop Newbie admin
    stapfm said:

    Thanks for all the info!

    I tried installing the FreedomPop Messaging Phone/SIM from the link you provided, but it says it's not compatible with my HTC One V. Pretty sure it's because the One V is running Android 4.0.3, and the app says it supports 4.1 and above. "Software updates" indicates there are no updates available for the phone.

    I side loaded an older version of the FP Messaging app (22.00.1068.0202) that supposedly supports 4.0, but there is no "More" or "System Updates" that I can see from "Settings" under the "3 bars / hamburger" menu in the upper left of the app. The nearest thing might be "Advanced settings - audio and network settings", but it's grayed out and doesn't do anything. That means I haven't been able to do a Profile Update nor a PRL update.

    Do you know of an official/semi-official version of the app that may work better? Or a different way to do a Profile and PRL updates?

    I appreciate all the help!

    We are afraid that we do not have the steps for earlier Android verions for the PRL and carrier reset but the device needs to run that version of Android at least to be fully compatible with our app and operate accordingly.
  • stapfmstapfm Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    Well that's a real bummer. Do you have any instructions on how to get and install Android 4.1 for the HTC One V? It doesn't seem like HTC issued 4.1 so it would have to be from someone else?
  • AlejandraGAlejandraG Posts: 5,178FreedomPop Newbie admin
    stapfm said:

    Well that's a real bummer. Do you have any instructions on how to get and install Android 4.1 for the HTC One V? It doesn't seem like HTC issued 4.1 so it would have to be from someone else?

    If the device cannot be updated to the minimum version for our app to run our app, we are afraid the device is not compatible. We would recommend to purchase or activate a different device that runs Android 4.1 or iOS 8.2+.
  • stapfmstapfm Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    I am going to attempt to get Android 4.1 installed on my HTC One V and then install FP Messaging Phone.
    If I'm unable to do that I'll mark this as closed.
    Do you mind if I leave this question open in case I have questions after installing Android 4.1?
  • CarlosGCarlosG Posts: 993 admin
    stapfm said:

    I am going to attempt to get Android 4.1 installed on my HTC One V and then install FP Messaging Phone.
    If I'm unable to do that I'll mark this as closed.
    Do you mind if I leave this question open in case I have questions after installing Android 4.1?

    We're here to help in any way possible.
Sign In or Register to comment.