Discussion on Sale to two companies

Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 29 in News and Updates #1
I'm posting this to start discussions of the changes to fill a vacuum of information on the transition from FreedomPop to the two companies.
All CDMA device accounts sold off to ting
All GSM LTE SIM accounts. FreedomPop brand. [and employees etc?] all sold off to Red Pocket.

From what I have read on Howard Forums, the rumors and one official announcement from Red Pocket is business will continue with out much change [for short term anyway]
The big unknown is what they will treat/ do with the FREE plans beyond the summer.
The Pricing of Red Pocket is very similar to Unreal Mobile's plans. If you have a paid plan then you will likely like the new improved customer service etc.

The announcement that FreedomPop posted is closed already. So add your discussions here.
Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
Post edited by Rich Sias (16th) on
Tagged:

Comments

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am getting more excited about the coming changes being good for my GSM SIMs and Netgear Unite hot spots.

As for my CDMA devices, they are still working. I expect to continue services for 20 to 120 days then likely I will stop when free transition credits are exhausted.
  • comintelcomintel Posts: 354FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited June 16 #3
    Ting is indicating there will be one or more very favorable one-time upgrade offers on the Sprint side that can be kept permanently if you take them up after their free trial/credit period, including one with a large amount of data. That is one I am looking forward to. They will be emailing out details to all current FP Sprint account holders in the next week or so, certainly well before month end.
    Post edited by comintel on
  • Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 320FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Some things seem to have changed already. One of my SIM accounts has no number, kept it after porting out in case we had use for it in future. This account had been requiring me to reactivate every time I logged on to check on it. I noticed that this seems to have stopped. Then today, I clicked on the link that says: "Missing phone number? GET ONE NOW" and it looks like that is now free (was $5 before).

Top up credit still expired and required reactivating, though.
    edited June 16 #5

Some things seem to have changed already. One of my SIM accounts has no number, kept it after porting out in case we had use for it in future. This account had been requiring me to reactivate every time I logged on to check on it. I noticed that this seems to have stopped. Then today, I clicked on the link that says: "Missing phone number? GET ONE NOW" and it looks like that is now free (was $5 before).

It is $5 if you want to change your number, but free to get a new one after it expires (which they do after non-use). That has always been like that. Maybe there are some changes though.
    comintel said:

It is $5 if you want to change your number, but free to get a new one after it expires (which they do after non-use). That has always been like that. Maybe there are some changes though.
    I thought when I had looked right after porting out it was showing $5 and that was why I have left it without a number.

Maybe it was just the timing, that initially after porting out they were treating it as a change and then later treating it as expired? That's probably it, since that SIM has had no activity for about 7 months. I had never checked again until today, which I did because they seem to have stopping inactivating the account.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would be really nice is for the 803S hotspots to be allowed to use 4G LTE again after over 2 years from being blocked. See a dozen or more postings of struggles to get the FREE plan to function. One user paying for Pro reported ONLY connecting to 3G and never LTE.
    I suspect some minion turned OFF the 4G LTE service support thinking it was WiMax. With a dozen requests to fix it, no one has discovered why the request or how to do that.
    edited June 18 #8

What would be really nice is for the 803S hotspots to be allowed to use 4G LTE again after over 2 years from being blocked. See a dozen or more postings of struggles to get the FREE plan to function. One user paying for Pro reported ONLY connecting to 3G and never LTE.
    I suspect some minion turned OFF the 4G LTE service support thinking it was WiMax. With a dozen requests to fix it, no one has discovered why the request or how to do that.

Ting is going to port all Sprint lines (and I HOPE all Sprint hotspots as well) out of FP and into Ting at month end.

At that time, they will re-activate and re-provision them on Ting for you to try out Ting. We can expect that they will do it right because Ting is very advanced technically.

However , after a trial period, Ting will start charging for all services. People will be given an opportunity to cancel or port out before that happens. Ting says it will not keep the freemium model. But there will be special one-time offers.

In preparation, I would suggest that everyone make sure their FP Sprint accounts are in order. Get numbers for any phones that have lost the number. Reactivate any expired credits. Make sure the email address works.

Ting will be mailing all FP CDMA accounts with details in a few days.

edited June 21 #9
    RedPocket has issued a new Press Release (credit agalvan):
    http://www.prweb.com/releases/red_pocket_mobile_to_bring_freedompop_to_all_major_wireless_networks_in_america/prweb16395953.htm

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (PRWEB) June 21, 2019

Red Pocket Mobile, a wireless service leader, announced that it has officially acquired “freemium” operator FreedomPop. Like all Red Pocket Mobile customers, FreedomPop and FreedomPop’s UNREAL Mobile subscribers will soon be able to pair virtually any phone in the US with the nationwide network of their choice.

What does this mean to American consumers? Free wireless service. On any phone. On any major network. For the first time ever.

In addition to increased coverage and broader device eligibility, FreedomPop and UNREAL Mobile users will also benefit from Red Pocket Mobile’s top-rated customer service.

comintel said:

Free wireless service. On any phone. On any major network. For the first time ever.

Thanks for posting that pleasantly surprising news that free service will continue.
    FREE wireless service on any of the major networks ? Wow !
    So my CDMA that get migrated to ting, can end up at Red Pocket too by my choice, sweet !
    edited June 22 #12

So my CDMA that get migrated to ting, can end up at Red Pocket too by my choice, sweet !

So it seems indeed (subject to details to come). That is interesting too that Ting and RedPocket will be both courting the Sprint users.
  • JJFreedomJJFreedom Posts: 422FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer, SD Flyers ✭✭✭
    Great post, how do we know if our products plan will be acquired by Red Pocket or Ting? It looks like Red Pocket is much more favorable.
    I usually respond within 24 hours. If you need help, feel free to ask.

Also, to tag me directly, write @JJFreedom. - this way I will know when you are talking to me.
    edited June 25 #14
    JJFreedom said:

Great post, how do we know if our products plan will be acquired by Red Pocket or Ting? It looks like Red Pocket is much more favorable.

Ting acquires all CDMA services initially. All CDMA lines and hotspots will be moved to Ting at month end. They will send an email next week with all details.

Once lines/hotspots are on Ting, you can then port them elsewhere afterward if you want (including back to Red Pocket or cancel before they charge anything if you like).

Everything else stays right here which is now part of Red Pocket (but new plans and upgrades will be announced soon).
  • Vle045Vle045 Posts: 182FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer ✭✭✭
    JJFreedom said:

This is how I interpret all of this....
    If you have a FreedomPop SIM that you used in your own unlocked phone, you will port to red pocket.

If you bought a phone from FreedomPop then you will go to Ting

Personally, I have two SIM cards and one phone. So mine will be going to different places. (Ps, I’m not going to switch to a paid service at all. I use these as back-up/kid phones, because I can. 😉)
    Vle045
    Have I been helpful? Have I answered your question successfully? If so, please choose my answer.

I don’t think that’s exactly what that means. If you don’t have a FreedomPop SIM, you might want to pick one up.
    Vle045
    Have I been helpful? Have I answered your question successfully? If so, please choose my answer.
    edited June 28 #17
    What Red Pocket (the new owner of FP) means is that they will be able to sell sims for all four carriers in the future under the FP brand name (because they already do so under the Red Pocket brand).

But you will still have to buy the particular sim that matches whatever your particular phone(s) needs or can accept.

Many GSM phones will take either TMobile or AT&T sims. Phones for the other two carriers usually require their own respective sims. Recent iPhones, some Samsungs, some Motos, most Pixels etc can take sims of any carrier, but that is not the case for most other phones.

Meanwhile, EXISTING FP customers with existing Sprint CDMA phones will all get moved completely off FP in a few days, onto Ting. Once moved onto Ting, they will have no further business with FP (unless they buy a new sim from FP and start from scratch!).
    comintel said:

Meanwhile, EXISTING FP customers with existing Sprint CDMA phones will all get moved completely off FP in a few days, onto Ting. Once moved onto Ting, they will have no further business with FP (unless they buy a new sim from FP and start from scratch!).

Yes, but after being moved to Ting, you can cancel that service and activate your FP phone with any other Sprint MVNO, including Red Pocket. The phone would have to be released by FP/Ting in order to be activated elsewhere. (If you want to keep the number, you would port that and then cancel, of course.)

The phones sold by FP came with a Sprint SIM. I may be wrong, but my understanding was that you do not need a different Sprint SIM to activate elsewhere? In any case, with or without a new Sprint SIM, there is no reason that a FreedomPop Sprint phone can not be activated on Red Pocket after being realesed.

This page https://www.redpocket.com/plans/add/M030 says:
    Already have a Sprint compatible LTE phone and SIM...? ACTIVATE NOW

Tello, which is Sprint only, has a similar statement, saying if you don't already have a Sprint SIM, you can buy one from them. They also have place you can enter the ESN to check if your phone is compatible. This indicated that my FP phone is and just had some comment related to the need for it to be released from current service.
    edited June 28 #19

comintel said:

Yes, but after being moved to Ting, you can cancel that service and activate your FP phone with any other Sprint MVNO, including Red Pocket. The phone would have to be released by FP/Ting in order to be activated elsewhere. (If you want to keep the number, you would port that and then cancel, of course.)

The phones sold by FP came with a Sprint SIM. I may be wrong, but my understanding was that you do not need a different Sprint SIM to activate elsewhere? In any case, with or without a new Sprint SIM, there is no reason that a FreedomPop Sprint phone can not be activated on Red Pocket after being realesed.

This page https://www.redpocket.com/plans/add/M030 says:
    Already have a Sprint compatible LTE phone and SIM...? ACTIVATE NOW

Tello, which is Sprint only, has a similar statement, saying if you don't already have a Sprint SIM, you can buy one from them. They also have place you can enter the ESN to check if your phone is compatible. This indicated that my FP phone is and just had some comment related to the need for it to be released from current service.
    You are absolutely correct and I like that we are agreeing and just elaborating a bit for people in different ways, I think.

Yes, you will be able to move your FP Sprint phone and sim elsewhere onto any Sprint MVNO after it gets moved initially onto Ting and gets unlocked if need be (I expect they will do that no problem).

As you note, one of those places you can move it to after the free Ting trial will be Tello. Another, that will also be popular, will be back onto the "new" now-Red-Pocket-owned FP, once they package their Red Pocket Sprint access into a new FP Sprint-based offering, as they have said they will. I would guess they are waiting for Ting to initially get the CDMA phones off FP in the first place to start with, since Ting bought and paid for the CDMA accounts. This should happen in a few days.

Moreover, this prospect will hopefully motivate Ting to make some great offers to try to keep us from leaving them right after we arrive!

Sprint sims are never specific to the MVNO and can always be reused in the same brand and make of phone, so you are right, we should be able to keep the original FP/Sprint sim through all of this. (Of course this would not be true on the GSM side if we were talking about that, which we are not right at the moment).
    comintel said:

Sprint sims are never specific to the MVNO and can always be reused in the same brand and make of phone, so you are right, you should be able to keep the original Sprint sim through all of this.

Thanks for confirming that. Based on their normal pricing, I am doubtful that Ting is going to offer anything that I will want to keep, even with whatever special offer they are going to make to FP customers.

I would guess they (Red Pocket) are waiting for Ting to initially get the CDMA phones off FP in the first place to start with...

I wonder if Red Pocket will also initially offer free plans only to existing FP customers or if they will open it up to anyone right away? I would have guessed that it would be limited at first, but then they put out that press release implying everyone will have access. I am fine either way as main phone is on the FP SIM plan, so that one will go directly to Red Pocket.
    edited June 28 #21

comintel said:

Sprint sims are never specific to the MVNO and can always be reused in the same brand and make of phone, so you are right, you should be able to keep the original Sprint sim through all of this.

Thanks for confirming that. Based on their normal pricing, I am doubtful that Ting is going to offer anything that I will want to keep, even with whatever special offer they are going to make to FP customers.

I would guess they (Red Pocket) are waiting for Ting to initially get the CDMA phones off FP in the first place to start with...

I wonder if Red Pocket will also initially offer free plans only to existing FP customers or if they will open it up to anyone right away? I would have guessed that it would be limited at first, but then they put out that press release implying everyone will have access. I am fine either way as main phone is on the FP SIM plan, so that one will go directly to Red Pocket.
    Agreed that Ting is normally grossly over-priced but I have (faint) hopes that they might make an exception this time. I think you might see a $20 unlimited everything special offer at the higher end as they offered that when they took over Boom's Sprint lines. At the lower end, I agree odds are slim of great deals from Ting.

I cannot get a clear picture yet either of what Red Pocket FP will do re the new free plans. That will be closely awaited by everyone. They might as well try something ambitious though while they are at it, to try to hold onto all the FP free users they just bought and add more as well.
    edited June 28 #22
    https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3695

What to expect now that FreedomPop has partnered with Red Pocket?

Published 06/12/2019 03:48 PM | Updated 06/26/2019 10:33 AM
    Contents

• How the partnership works
    • What about my calling / data plan?
    • What happens next?
    • Is the free plan still an option?
    • What about annual or semi-annual plans?
    • I haven't activated my SIM card yet
    • Will you still ship my order?

How does this partnership work?
    We've worked over the last 8 years to bring competitive pricing to the talk, text, and data plan market; partnering with Red Pocket accelerates that mission further. Red Pocket not only has deals with all four carriers and the #1 ranked customer service, but they will also be investing heavily to grow and improve the FreedomPop service and availability.

What about my calling, texting and data plan?
    Red Pocket is excited to maintain the best of FreedomPop and mix in some added wonderfulness, including the option for native carrier voice, and soon service on more major networks!
    We will not disrupt your current service. We're planning no major changes to any existing plans.
    We will provide the added bonus of live customer service agents along with more control and transparency over your billing and account management.

What should I do now?
    Nothing! You can still manage your account from my.freedompop.com, get in touch when you have questions or browse our website support.freedompop.com for information.
    We are grateful for your continued support, and excited for the future!

Will you still be offering a free plan?
    Yes. We're not planning any major changes to any existing plans, including free ones.

Will my preloaded semi-annual or annual plan be discontinued?
    No. We're planning no major changes to any existing plan.

I purchased a SIM from retail store but haven't activated it yet, will my purchase be honored?
    Yes! Please follow the activation instructions you received with your SIM kit.

I purchased a SIM/Hotspot and haven't received it, will my order be canceled?
    No. Please be assured all orders are being processed as usual.

FreedomPop © 2019

edited June 29 #23
    Rich,

Thanks for starting this outstanding thread and for updating the title! Now I will link to it elsewhere.
    Looks like they've broken my Sprint phones as they try to migrate it.

I got an email from FreedomPop (and a similar message on the FP app), saying:
    Your device is in the process of being migrated to a fully native experience with the same plan you have today. You will be able to use the native messaging app for text messages with the same number for better experience.

Once the migration is completed, you may lose cellular connections temporarily. If so, please make sure you perform profile update by dialing this number based on your device:

- For Android device: ##72786#
    - For iOS device (iPhone): ##873283##
    - For Google phones (Nexus/Pixel): *#*#72786#*#*

Now outgoing calls get "the number or code you have dialed is incorrect" and incoming gets "the number you have dialed is temporarily not in service".

Hopefully the message about it being temporary is correct.

Also attempt to send text and get message that I am not allowed to send text messages.
    edited July 8 #25
    Did you use the FreedomPop app or your device’s native dialer? Did you follow the profile update they described?

Looks like they've broken my Sprint phones as they try to migrate it.

I got an email from FreedomPop (and a similar message on the FP app), saying:

Your device is in the process of being migrated to a fully native experience with the same plan you have today. You will be able to use the native messaging app for text messages with the same number for better experience.

Once the migration is completed, you may lose cellular connections temporarily. If so, please make sure you perform profile update by dialing this number based on your device:

- For Android device: ##72786#
    - For iOS device (iPhone): ##873283##
    - For Google phones (Nexus/Pixel): *#*#72786#*#*

Now outgoing calls get "the number or code you have dialed is incorrect" and incoming gets "the number you have dialed is temporarily not in service".

Hopefully the message about it being temporary is correct.

Also attempt to send text and get message that I am not allowed to send text messages.
    Vle045
    Vle045 said:

Did you use the FreedomPop app or your device’s native dialer? Did you follow the profile update they described?

I did post the instructions that they had emailed and also followed them. So yes and yes.

There seem to be a lot of posts from people having service problems, so I think this migration has been botched by FP/Ting.