Site says 4G LTE is available in my zip, but FreedomPop Modem/Router not able to connect to service

John DurchakJohn Durchak Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
So, I checked the FreedomPop website to see if Wireless internet was available in my area. Not only does the site show 4G LTE is available in my area, but it shows like 99% of New Jersey has 4G LTE available. I decided to purchase the FreedomPop Modem/Router Model: WIXFBR-131. Strangely these things support an external antenna, but they don't supply you with one. Doesn't much matter because I happen to have one, but with or with out the antenna (and switch set appropriately) I can not get a signal at all. I am not able to get any connection at all. The WiFi lights just sit and cycle through but never lock on.

Interestingly, I seem to see this happening to a number of other people, but I have yet to see any kind of answers, reasoning, or resolution to this problem, so I thought I would try opening an issue here on the forums and see if anyone can help me.

I have not purchased any data plan because I am supposed to have a 1.5 GB Data plan per month right now, which I was going to use to First as a test of the service to see how it is (so far not so good) and Second, as a backup in case I lose power, this would be a great back up for the net, and the generator and the UPS's will keep everything running. Well, in theory any way.

If anyone can help me get things running, I would appreciate it, but something tells me this my be more systemic then I like to think.

Thanks!

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really sorry about this but the Freedom Hub is a WiMAX device and you will have to check for WiMAX coverage
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @John Durchak
    Did you make sure to turn on the external antenna when you plugged it in? Like Ali mentioned please check the coverage map for Wimax..

http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?

Look forward to your responce

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• John DurchakJohn Durchak Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Well, Guys, I just spoke with a Support Rep over at FreedomPop. His name was Ceasar and he was VERY helpful.

Ok, so it turns out that the FreedomPop site does a poor job at helping you understand what service you need and with what hardware. So while the site told me that in my area I am perfect for 4G LTE, it turns out that 4G LTE will not help me. That is not what I need. I actually need WiMax (which I have no clue that that is, what it does, nor where it comes from) so they canceled my account, gave me an RMA for the Burst Modem/Router which does me no good in my area. So I have to return the Burst Modem/Router, then once that's all settled I then have to purchase some device that supports WiMax if I choose to continue on this very confusing and not at all helpful road all to insure that I have a back up internet provider. SSSSSHHWEEWWWWW!!!!!! Now I have to ask myself, "Is this all worth it??" IDK :( I am very disappointed as I never expected this to be so darn confusing.

I think FreedomPop needs to do a much better job of helping the customer understand exactly what hardware we need and with what service. It obviously is not intuitive, or, I am a complete idiot, which I have to argue that I certainly am not. :(

@njfulwider5, yes, I made sure I mentioned that I turned the switch on for the external antenna, however, that point is rather moot now since it's clear that I need WiMax, not what I thought the site was telling me I had and was trying to use.

Thanks for the replies! :)
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,338FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    What grief to go thru.
    Here a suggestion to avoid a repeat with LTE.
    Find a friend, neighbor, fellow church member, etc that has a Sprint phone with active LTE services. Invite them to visit you with their phone. Check out how the LTE service is on your friends phone. If you like what your friend has as received in your home, then get a FP phone or hotspot with LTE services. You'll not be disappointed. If your friend can't get LTE there, then you've found out ahead of ordering that your house is zero or weak LTE.

After a week of no LTE, I cruised farther frm home west, south, north, and last to east. The street one block east had LTE moderately. Farther east, better. My 7 block street, zero the whole length. The map? FULL intensity everywhere all over 10+ miles in all directions! Hah ! Am I going to send phone back? No way, I'm keeping it. Every store, shop cntr, downtown stretch all work fine for me. Jus zip, nada at home.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    When you sign up on the freedompop site for a mobile devicein my area (which does not have wimax) I do not get an option to select a device that runs on LTE (which is in my area).

Currently there are two FP hotspots that work with LTE. They are the MIFI 500 and the 803s LTE hotspot. You can find the option to purchase the MIFI 500 from this link https://www.freedompop.com/devices/freedom-spot-lte . The device is currently selling for $139 plus shipping. the 803s is sold at newegg.com and current price is $49.99 (free shipping).
  • John DurchakJohn Durchak Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I am going to get the little $19.99 unit that looks like a little satellite dish that just plugs into the USP port on my laptop. While it's not the Router type that would give me service to all my devices, it does give me service to my laptop which is really all I need since I only planned to use this as a back up incase I lose power.

I have Verizon DSL as my primary home internet, but if I lose power, I lose my internet. Having the cellular internet is a great option for a back up internet provider.

I am not yet set on that purchase as I am still looking at my options, but the modem/router that I purchased was only $25.00 and for that price and "free internet (1.5GB per month) was a perfect idea for me, but being that I now find out that I can't use that, I really don't want to go spending a lot of money on another device to connect to the FreedomPop network. It was never my intention to spend a lot of money for a "backup" solution.

Anyway, I have let the folks at FreedomPop know what when they sell their products through third party retailers, they need to give them the tools to insure that potential buyers know what they need and if that the retailer is selling will actually work for them. If that was available when I purchased the modem/router, I would have known that it was not going to work for me, and I would not have bought it and gone through all this mess.

Again, I appreciate everyones replies and the help that you all gave. Hopefully FreedomPop will make such tools available so that the next person wont go through what I had to go through.

Thanks!

John