How do I improve the voice quality on a Samsung Victory 4G LTE?

124»

Answers

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,376FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tech warning.... Read if you want, not fixing current problem, just education, here.

The UDP packet is just the first of 5 to set up registration. Yes there is no acknowledgement of that packet, but Messenger is expecting another UDP( or TCP) in response and acts accordingly. These exchange public keys and encrypt account no. And password. The final packet is to announce that device has registered with server. Messenger will stop retrying to register for default time of hour. So re-register may be once an hour. If one of the five packets don't arrive in time, Messenger continues to resend that UPD to initiate registration a default of every 30 seconds. ( possible to run battery down a bit quicker )
    Ideal is to be registered all time, help lengthen charge on battery a bit.
    A weak radio signal can trip a re-registration, the battery impact is small, but the absent time means calls might get defected to VM.

This is more of why I'm so focused on weak signals. If we can declare signals are strong enough, then the fix is waaaaaay less complicated. May still be a bear, but that better than bear squared!

I'd eventually like to make chart of all BYOD models and what constitutes a good enough signal. I expect every model to different form other models. There may even be some difference between newer and older versions of same model, but I will not be chasing that in this round of research.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rich Sias ( LastDay: 16th )
    Man with all this info you should start a Post just on your experiments...

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,376FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will once I gather enough truth to report on.
    Right now it's just a buncha innuendo.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rich Sias ( LastDay: 16th )
    anyway I can help...

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the software can resend these packets, but UDP cannot. Good to know that you know enough about the software. I for one would like it if freedompop start using TCP Protocol because it is much better network level Protocol.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭

Tech warning.... Read if you want, not fixing current problem, just education, here.

The UDP packet is just the first of 5 to set up registration. Yes there is no acknowledgement of that packet, but Messenger is expecting another UDP( or TCP) in response and acts accordingly. These exchange public keys and encrypt account no. And password. The final packet is to announce that device has registered with server. Messenger will stop retrying to register for default time of hour. So re-register may be once an hour. If one of the five packets don't arrive in time, Messenger continues to resend that UPD to initiate registration a default of every 30 seconds. ( possible to run battery down a bit quicker )
    Ideal is to be registered all time, help lengthen charge on battery a bit.
    A weak radio signal can trip a re-registration, the battery impact is small, but the absent time means calls might get defected to VM.

This is more of why I'm so focused on weak signals. If we can declare signals are strong enough, then the fix is waaaaaay less complicated. May still be a bear, but that better than bear squared!

I'd eventually like to make chart of all BYOD models and what constitutes a good enough signal. I expect every model to different form other models. There may even be some difference between newer and older versions of same model, but I will not be chasing that in this round of research.

I glad you are able to find time to research and data collection on your weak signal project @Rich Sias ( LastDay: 16th )‌ . I am sure these finding will help on the forum big time. Good work Rich
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
  • Janet HotsonJanet Hotson Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    @ "Rich Sias" Thanks for your help, at least now I understand what is happening with the no ring-voicemail problem. I'm going to upgrade my wifi soon so I'm hoping that will help with the calls breaking up at home.
    @njfulwider5 Thanks for your help! I'll check my Google acct. again. It maybe something I'll just have to live with. I'm hoping getting a stronger WiFi signal in my home will help.
    @Janet Hotson
    I did stumble onto another setting, but I think it only helped with receiving calls...I threw it over on that post I started(the new freedompop app)

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/5346/lets-talk-about-the-new-update-version-28-15-05-36-1020-oct-20-2014-and-older-app-version-27#latest

Take a peek....

Go to FP app, Tab 3 bar or arrow upper left corner to bring out the side panel. Or just hit the menu button on Phone. Go to "Settings" -> Easy Configurations -> Under Available Profile -> Tab "Always Available".
    [email protected]

@njfulwider5 Just wanted to let you know that I set my phone to "Always Available" but my battery ran down in 6 hours. It usually lasts 14 hours. With this setting I would have to charge my battery in the middle of the day instead of overnight as I have been doing. I did receive a call at home with this setting, there was no echo and the caller did break up a little, but it was better, but I still prefer to charge the phone overnight so I may change it back to "Available on WiFi." Thanks for your help! If you find anything else out to improve the phone, let me know.
    @Janet Hotson
    You have rewarded me for every single answer I gave...I have you saved on my book marks..and favorites page in Google...LOL ....I am a robot and I hate it when I don't know why something don't work like I want it too...So you will here from me again asap...

But check this out....Your battery is only 2100 mah(might be something else)...if you ever do any ebaying...You can buy a slim battery that is bigger....I think I see a battery for this device that was 4500mah.....But it was a little fatter and came with a new phone back....But there are tons of slim batteries at 3400mah....Buy one of those and you have the best of both worlds...

Just got to ebay and enter the phone make( Samsung Victory 4G LTE) and add the word (battery) to it...You'll find them..If not @sign me or PM me and I will point you to the correct direction...
    below is a link to one of them...but shop around, you might find them bigger or cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-3400mAh-Battery-Travel-Charger-Pen-For-Samsung-Galaxy-Victory-4G-LTE-SPH-L300-/281431490339?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Batteries&hash=item41869fbf23

Have fun and thanks for the votes....

@njfulwider5 Thanks for the info. I'll shop for a new battery. I have a question. I was looking at my WiFi connections and I noticed that there was a box to tick for SIP. It wasn't ticked so I ticked it. Would that have anything to do with my less than stellar phone service at home? Happy Halloween!!

@njfulwider5 Thanks for the info. I'll shop for a new battery. I have a question. I was looking at my WiFi connections and I noticed that there was a box to tick for SIP. It wasn't ticked so I ticked it. Would that have anything to do with my less than stellar phone service at home? Happy Halloween!!

Question @Janet Hotson, you say you WiFi had box to tick for SIP. Was this on the phone or this was on the device you connected to? The app do use SIP, so it should be good to do that. Let me know where this box was at.
    [email protected]

@Brian McPherson @njfulwider5 The SIP box was on my Linksys Smart WiFi set up page under connectivity. I don't think ticking it helped. My husband called me today and he said he could hear me clearly, but he was breaking up badly on my end. My signal strength seems to be worse (-99dBm 1 asu LTE 14). When I turn off wifi, at home my phone goes to 3G signal strength (-99dBm 1 asu eHRPD:13). I'm not sure if the service is better on 3G. I'm going to do a test later tonight. If the incoming and outgoing call still breaks up I will untick the SIP on my WiFi connectivity.
    @njfulwider5 @Brian McPherson I did a test calls with Wifi on and the SIP unticked on my Linksys WiFi.
    There was slight break up on incoming voice, outgoing was clear. I tried to make a call with WiFi turned off and couldn't. Phone message said that signal strength was to low. So I guess I'm not getting anywhere. I ordered a new battery (3400 mah) and as soon as I receive it I will change the setting to "Always Available" so hopefully that will help. Thanks again for all your help! I'm learning alot!
    @Janet Hotson
    so i am looking at my settings...and I guess i am a little confused? what SIP setting did you mess with? The Sip setting on my android is pushed by default?

@Janet Hotson‌ , that is a weak 3g signal, not much you can do about that unless you get a signal booster or amplifiers.
    [email protected]