**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

How to use Google Voice with your FreedomPop phone

Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
**** THIS IS NOT SUPPORTED BY FREEDOMPOP!!! IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THIS METHOD, YOU WILL HAVE TO RELY ON OTHER GOOGLE VOICE USERS FOR SUPPORT ****

Google Voice is a great way to have a single number that people can call and text if you have multiple devices. You can ever port your number for $20. The service is free! This is how you can use it on your FreedomPop phone.

1. Get a Google Voice number: Go to voice.google.com . If you do not have a Google account, you can create one. They will give you a number for free in the area that you choose.

You must set up an existing phone number to forward to. You can use your FreedomPop phone number. If you wish to use another number, you can add it in the Settings (the gear icon) and the "Phones" tab. You may add up to 7 phone numbers. Here you can also purchase the porting of your number if you wish to use an existing cell phone number.

You can set your voice mail under the "Voicemail & Text" tab

2. Install the Google Voice app: With this app you can text message and check you voice mail. It will download this messages using whatever data is available. When you open the app initially, it will ask for the Google account. Select the account that you set the account up with. It will then ask you to select a phone number for the phone; choose the FreedomPop phone number. It will ask how you would like to dial. Select "Do not use Google Voice to make any calls". This feature will NOT work with FreedomPop. (For another phone with a different phone service, you would select "Use Google Voice to make all calls" for it to show in the Caller ID of the receiver.) We will get use a work around to get your number to show up.

3. Install "Voice+ (Google Voice Callback)": Search the Google Play store for "Google Voice Callback" and you will find this program or click here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hu.xilard.voiceplus . Run the app and select the Google Account that is tied to Google Voice. Then move the FreedomPop number up into the Visible numbers. For default call type, use "Always Ask". I have found this setting to constantly work. If you wish for it to dial immediately, select "Always Google Voice".

Comments

• Coretta TurnerCoretta Turner Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Should the "outgoing call integration" be checked?
  • William Steinmetz William Steinmetz Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    Of note, if you disable Freedom POP messaging to send calls through Google Voice, the ability to place calls, using FreedomPop messaging over wifi (while in Airplane Mode), is similarly disabled. Calls cannot be received in Airplane Mode in any configuration, so far.
  • gabriel barbagabriel barba Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks for the instructions. Have you gotten incoming voice messages to the Freedom Pop phone number to go to Google Voice, instead of the phone's Voicemail app? In Settings->Call->Voicemail service, I have Google Voice selected. But the voice mail still does not go to Google Voice.
  • Christopher SylvainChristopher Sylvain Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭
    instructions don't appear to work when you already have an existing Google Voice account with a number assigned. not a problem for me, though, really. just reporting.
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭

instructions don't appear to work when you already have an existing Google Voice account with a number assigned. not a problem for me, though, really. just reporting.

Which step? I already had GV as well. Did you add your FreedomPop phone number as one of your forwarding numbers?
  • Christopher SylvainChristopher Sylvain Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭
    "Tap 'Next' to complete the Sprint integration, or 'Skip' to complete the regular Google Voice set-up."
    i type 'Skip' .. "Select which Google account ..." .. my google account is listed and is selected. i type 'Sign in' .. "To complete the set up: Google Voice needs to verify your phone number" .. i type 'Next' .. "Select the number of this phone:" (no numbers listed) .. i type "Add this phone" .. "Google Voice will now verify your phone number .." .. i type 'Next' .. and that's where the set up process dies. "Verifying your phone number..." .. error message: We have a problem. Your phone number could not be verified. Please try again.
  • 3Simplex3Simplex Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Yeah, there's a trick to that. In this case you need to open Google voice on a PC or suffer it with a phone browser. Go to settings, phones, add your number there and verify it with a Google call back. Then you can redo the Google app configuration, choose your newly added number. Bam! Have fun bro.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie

Follow step 1: Add your FreedomPop number from your web browser. You will not be able to do it through the Android app.

okay, i'll check on that. what you wrote just above reads quite differently than what you wrote originally. "you _may_ use your FP number" != you *must* enter your FP number

• Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    Chris said:

Follow step 1: Add your FreedomPop number from your web browser. You will not be able to do it through the Android app.

okay, i'll check on that. what you wrote just above reads quite differently than what you wrote originally. "you _may_ use your FP number" != you *must* enter your FP number

I would love to change some of the wording and where it shows up in the forum, but I cannot edit the post. I also had to split the post as there seems to be a character limit too. I hope it works.
  • gabriel barbagabriel barba Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    I wish I could have gotten this to work! The call quality was really bad. There were big delays, and I would always have to hang up and make calls from the Talkatone App on my Ipad. Both the phone and my ipad would be on the same wireless network, but it was too difficult to understand the conversation on the phone. Since the Google Voice API is changing on May 15, Talkatone support for google voice is going away, so hopefully I can try again in a few weeks and see if I can figure if there are settings somewhere I am missing that would help the quality.
  • Scott OrrScott Orr Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Has anybody figured out what to do after May 15 when Google is ending 3rd party app support for VOIP service? I'm assuming Voice+ will no longer have call functionality just like Talkatone and GrooveIP. Has anybody heard if Google is coming out with their own app or an update to Hangouts?
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    So far the new message update has given my design 4g about 24 hrs standby time. Though I dont put much credance in antutu I have gotten 300 points more than usual after three tests over the last 24 hrs. I wanted to test how long battery lasted, since I belived this was a major problem. Will be doing call quality testing today if I get the chance.
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Scott, I havent heard anything regarding your topic. But I would think google will come up with something before then to perhaps replace google +.
  • Scott OrrScott Orr Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie

Scott, I havent heard anything regarding your topic. But I would think google will come up with something before then to perhaps replace google +.

I hope so! I use this as my primary phone now and I've been very happy with it. I don't want to lose the phone number that I've had forever so I'll probably have to switch from freedompop if something isn't figured out. Hopefully Google will incorporate it into Hangouts, which I've heard they already did for the iPhone version of hangouts. Where's the Android update, Google?
  • Thomas SterlingThomas Sterling Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Voice + callback does not use Voip to do it's Magic, so it will probably still work after the May 15 Deadline for Apps that use Voip. I use it with the new Talkatone which has far superior voice codecs than the FreedomPop message app. All inbound calls are free and all texting is free. So when you place a call back it is free over wifi and uses data when not. The calls switch from wifi to data flawlessly and back again. If you remove the messaging app from FreedomPOP your battery life goes way up.
  • Philip HowardPhilip Howard Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    Since I have unlimited minutes, but want to show my GV number, I guess I will have to use V+callback and the FP messaging app. I wonder if FP has, or can soon obtain, the capability to set our outgoing caller ID to a number we provide (like our GV number). In which case, we won't need any GV workaround apps.
  • Philip HowardPhilip Howard Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    I assume using the Freedompop messaging app does NOT use our data plan, if we paid for unlimited minutes. [Whether we use the V+callback or directly dial out]. Otherwise, how would we get our unlimited minutes?
  • J  C SAMPSONJ C SAMPSON Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi

I am not currently worried about receiving or sending calls, just texting and voicemail.

I want my voice mail from my Verizon phone to be sent to my desktop or my FreedomPop use phone as visual voice mail or email or something.

I thought Google Voice would be a way to do that, but I am having nothing but trouble understanding it and even getting a number in my area code for it.

And I keep seeing where it might go poof.

So ... Is there an app that would do what I want?

And, when the google thing asks if I want a new number or use a number I already have, if I say use my freedompop number, is that porting the number?

I don't like the sound of that.

Geez, why does everything have to be so complicated for this poor non techie brain..lol

Thanks for any help.