Sudden battery death

@JasmineS, My freedompop branded Samsung Victory recently started experiencing battery problems (I think). The phone randomly shuts off and will only reboot if connected to a charger. When connected, the battery icon shows a partial charge between 20-80%. I never get a "battery low" warning, it simply shuts off, dead. When I check the battery usage after reboot, it shows a typical charge rate, then a sudden drop to zero percent, followed by a sudden restore to almost the previous level and a climb as the charger does its job.

can this problem be corrected with a factory reset, or is it a battery issue? also, if I factory reset how do I make sure I can connect back to Freedompop service?

Thanks,

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you try with a different charger? Some people report that a 1 amp charger fixes these issues.
  • Andrew T Shanahan Andrew T Shanahan Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    @Ali: different charger did not help. I charged to 100% with 1amp charger but still get sudden death crash. It seems to go till around 80% and then shuts off without warning. It will not reboot unless connected to a charger when that happens.

What should I try next? I have tried to recalibrate the battery stats but that didnt help either.
    @Ali, would a factory rest help? I could do that, but iam not sure how to set the phone back up with freedompop services. The phone came to me rooted and I would also like to do that. If you gave me instructions for both (freedompop config and root) I will try that route.
    @ali. @JasmineS, I replaced the battery. It seems to be working as expected now. You can close this thread or mark it as answered or solved...
  • Mike trujilloMike trujillo Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    my battery keeps discharging even when phone is shut off .can freedom pop sendme a new battery? and my charger has has also gone out . I have only had the phone for 4 days,also my phone was sent to me with a lot of dings around the edges.
  • ke8woke8wo Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    Mine suddenly developed these symptoms. Won't power up on the battery but will on the charger. I've ordered a new battery from Amazon for $16. A roll of the dice but I've saved about $200 in the 9 mo I've had the Victory .. so I'm $'s ahead even if I have to trash it.
  • ke8woke8wo Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    Same sort of issue here with the Victory that I've had for 9 months. I've noticed for maybe a month that if I take a picture .. the phone resets itself. Maybe camera takes too much power? Over this week end the phone (when on just its battery) continually tries to boot up .. just displaying 'Samsung' for a second then trying to boot again. It does boot up and is usable with a charger. I've concluded the battery is likely kaput and ordered a new one for about $16 off Amazon. May be something else .. if the new battery doesn't help .. I'll be looking for a new phone and perhaps a new carrier. Free is good but almost free may be better!