Advice on Getting Started With Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data on ZTE Force

dizziedizzie Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
Hi, Guys,

My ZTE Force is arriving today! My goal is to give FreedomPop a test run before porting my number over from my current carrier. I want to make sure that calls and texts/ MMS work well for me. The coverage map looks good in my area, and I can stay on wi-fi at home. If data over 3G/ 4G works well, that is a bonus, but it is secondary for my purposes.

I assume that I need to just go ahead and select a random local phone number from my freedompop web login so that I can use it for testing. If all goes well, I'm hoping that I can then port over my existing cell number and cancel my service with the other carrier. I see that is will cost me $10 if I decide to do that. I can still port after using a new FreedomPop phone number for a couple of weeks, right?

Also - wonder why my billing cycle started as soon as the device was shipped? I haven't even opened it and I've already lost 5 or 6 days service. It wouldn't matter that much if I was only on the free plan, but I opted for the $5 unlimited talk and text which I will have to start paying for in the next billing cycle. As of now, I also plan to downgrade from the $15 unlimited 1GB LTE data to the 500MB of free data or whatever, but who knows? Maybe I will keep it.

I'll also say that I want to try and connect Google Voice "lite" to the phone for voicemail purposes only. Anyone have experience with the lite version? As of now, I don't use Google Voice.

Any general advice on anything that deals with getting started is more than appreciated. I'm sure it has been covered in other threads that I couldn't find. I'm just hoping that someone(s) could comment on my specific situation.

Thanks!

Diz

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @dizzie ! Welcome to the FreedomPop family, we're happy to have you onboard.

You're definitely able to port in after a few weeks if thats what you'd like to do. If you'd like to port in, it will be a $10 fee however it will allow you to port in your number to your FreedomPop phone.

Your billing cycle started once your device shipped so you wouldn't have to activate it when you get it. This way you're just turning it on and using it.

Google Voice Lite is an awesome however it isn't 100% compatible with FreedomPop. I had issues getting it set up personally as well.

Just be advised you said you wanted to transfer SMS/MMS messages, be advised you can only send out picture or video messages but you're not currently able to receive them. This feature is going to be released in the next messaging app update so stay tuned for it :)

Have fun with your new ZTE Force and if you have any additional questions, feel free to post them here and we'll make sure you're taken care of.

Once again, welcome to FreedomPop!
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks, Ali!
    Oh, man, I just realized that half the texts I get from people come in as MMS, even if they are all text. I'm hoping that these will come through somehow...
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @dizzie
    You might want to reconsider Hangouts for SMS.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @djinks , hangouts is a nice solution and it doesn't take much data per call :)
    @djinks - you mean like using full on Google Voice instead of FreedomPop? How long has the SMS project been in-process now? Wonder if there is an ETA? Also - now my ZTE Force is on a black screen and unresponsive except for a blinking green led on the front. It doesn't even say that it is charging when I plug it in to various power outlets...
    Hmm, seems like my last comment never got approved. Wonder why? Anyway, to use hangouts for SMS, would people be able to text my normal phone number? Or would I have to use a Google Voice/ Hangouts number that is different than my Freedompop number? Also - I thought my ZTE Force was bricked - it wouldn't turn on at all. It only showed a green LED that blinked every 10 seconds. It wouldn't respond to being plugged in or having the battery removed. But finally, I removed and replaced the battery and plugged it in BEFORE turning it on. That worked. It already had 75% charge. I don't understand why it became unresponsive after sitting overnight. I'm lucky I had the charger nearby...
    Also, every time I try to open the Google Play Store app on the phone, I only receive a message saying "Error retreiving information from server. [DF-DFERH-01]
    Clicking Retry doesn't seem to help...
  • Phil SweeneyPhil Sweeney Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I have the same google play error on my ZTE Force. Support hasn't offered any advice.
  • BrassBrass Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    dizzie said:

Hmm, seems like my last comment never got approved. Wonder why? Anyway, to use hangouts for SMS, would people be able to text my normal phone number? Or would I have to use a Google Voice/ Hangouts number that is different than my Freedompop number? Also - I thought my ZTE Force was bricked - it wouldn't turn on at all. It only showed a green LED that blinked every 10 seconds. It wouldn't respond to being plugged in or having the battery removed. But finally, I removed and replaced the battery and plugged it in BEFORE turning it on. That worked. It already had 75% charge. I don't understand why it became unresponsive after sitting overnight. I'm lucky I had the charger nearby...

Are you getting any answers on how to use Google Hangouts to receive SMS and MMS? Can you use your FP number?