Supported Phones: How do I know if my phone is eligible for BYOD?

Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
If you're bringing your own phone, to ensure it is ready to be used on our network, you will have to ensure a few things are done in order to proceed to a successful activation.

First, make sure you have an officially supported phone. You can find out if your phone is a supported device by checking with our only official BYOD thread here: https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/4646/supported-phones-what-phones-can-i-activate-with-freedompop-on-byod-update-02-20-2015/p1

This thread has information straight from the source and you can find out what phones are supported by checking it. If you have a phone that is supported, you're able to proceed onto the next checks to ensure you can activate your device.

Second, check to make sure your ESN you're using is 100% clean and not marked as lost or stolen. Sellers sometimes **** users with phones that are lost or stolen or phones that have an outstanding balance that has not been paid off with Sprint and that don't work. These phones are considered "blacklisted" and as a result you won't be able to use them at all in the United States.

To ensure you do not have one of those devices, use this tool to verify that your device is not lost, stolen, or blacklisted. If you see a blacklisted device, do NOT purchase it. If you're an owner of a device like this, you unfortunately won't be able to bring it over.

Third, make sure it does not have a past due balance with Sprint or it has been active for at least a year on a Pre-Paid carrier. In some cases, if Sprint has not received your final bill or you owe them money if you did not pay your ETF / monthly bill on time, your device can be considered "locked" from activation on another MVNO like us and so you will need to ensure your device is in good standing. If your device has been active for less than a year if you're bringing a Pre-Paid device, it will also be considered "locked" and you will not be able to activate it. To do so, check your ESN at this website. If you are able to go through that is a good sign. If not, your device has a past due balance with Sprint or it has not been active for a year on a Pre-Paid carrier.

Lastly, to make sure your device can be activated, use our official ESN checker over at this website. If it asks for your ICCID or if it asks you to select a plan, you're all set and you have an eligible device. If you do not have success, unfortunately you will not be able to activate it on our network.

If you have any questions or comments, leave them down below.

Thanks for choosing FreedomPop.

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Due to some issues with hyperlinks, if you can't see any mentioned links please hover over any mentioned links and click on them if they change color.
  • Nathan RoyceNathan Royce Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    www.radioshack.com/sprint-prepaid-lg-volt-no-contract-phone/1710784.html
    So where does it say the prepaid HAS to be used with Sprint before going anywhere else, including Sprint's own MVNOs?
    I don't think Sprint has a leg to stand on (except for the MVNOs relying on their network).
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @Vindicator indeed the MVNO's have been you know what w/out vazeline! TING seems to have been ready, though many suspect they had a heads-up on this since their GSM service barely started when this happened. Who knows. What I personally know from being in contact with Sprint at a few levels higher than a phone csr is that they know there is a problem, but they will point at the mvno's "possibly doing something uknown to the phones" that will not allow them to activate! Short for "F'off, but if you like you can activate it on our network again!"
  • CrynaxCrynax Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Ali said:
    Check. LG G2
    Ali said:

Second, check to make sure your ESN you're using is 100% clean

Check. I visited Sprint store and ran full check. No outstanding balances or issues. Sprint would buy it back or provide me service.
    Ali said:

Third... check your ESN at this website.

Ouch, fail. Ting does provide a good explanation *and* offer.
    Ali said:

Lastly... use our official ESN checker

Also fail. None of the FreedomPop customer service representatives whom I called offered anywhere near the good explanation provided by Ting. Nor a good resolution. One told me to go buy a phone from FreedomPop, Newegg, or Groupon to ensure support. That means BYOD is false advertising since I bought and brought my own listed device. I have no eBay or other receipt because I bought my phone from a third-party (college student who upgraded to something else).
  • emathewsemathews Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    lol, i think i might be having same problem as you Crynax. I still have yet to go to Sprint store and have them check it though.
    Went to Sprint store, they said phone was clean..as a whistle.
    Contacted Ebay seller and they said they'll contact Sprint as well to see what is going on.......
  • AppleZAppleZ Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    I went to sprint to get my iPhone 5C checked out as it would not let me activate it on freedom pop and they said that it should be able to be activated, so Im confused. Any suggestions?
    @AppleZ the sprint rep either doesn't know anything about carriers like freedompop etc or they don't know anything about the FEC rules
    i experienced the same thing, rep said it was clean blablabla...but still i get rejected on Ting/Freedompop's byod checker
  • Qiang YeQiang Ye Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I bought a Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 Sprint tablet from A4C. It is a supported device on FreedomPop and it has a clean ESN. However I am not able to activated it on FreedomPop. Can any of the admins help me? Thanks.
  • comintelcomintel Posts: 354FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @Qiang Ye
    Qiang Ye said:

I bought a Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 Sprint tablet from A4C. It is a supported device on FreedomPop and it has a clean ESN. However I am not able to activated it on FreedomPop. Can any of the admins help me? Thanks.

Check it on the Ting ESN checker.

Probably it will fail there also which will show it is NOT clean enough for the Sprint FEC. It needs to not only be clean as in not-stolen, but also meet the FEC criteria.

• brickoneilbrickoneil Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm considering buying a Samsung Galaxy Mega or Mega 2 from Amazon for a FP GSM SIM I mistakenly ordered. Which would be better with Freedompop?
This discussion has been closed.