How to use Kyrocera as a WiFi hotspot

Richard ZirnheldRichard Zirnheld Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
I just bought the Kyocera icon because the ad said "use it as a hotspot for upto 8 devices". I have activated Premium service ($5.95) which is required (I think). I also activated a separate service for hotspot inadvertently (cost $3.95). I cannot find anything in settings or anywhere else to set up and connect my devices (iPad mainly).

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Richard Zirnheld Do you see the "FreedomPop Hotspot" app?
  • Richard ZirnheldRichard Zirnheld Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Yes, I have that app icon now. Pressing it gives me a very momentary screen that says "turn on portable wifi hotspot".. then my home wifi goes off and LTE comes on. If I try to find WiFi on my Ipad or other device I cant find anything that is named like Kyocera. I would think that I need to assign a password and then need that to sign on from my Ipad.
  • Richard ZirnheldRichard Zirnheld Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Yes, I have it now. Clicking it gives me a very momentary screen that says "turn on wifi hotspot"... then it goes away. The icon for my home wifi goes off and "LTE" comes on. When I go to my iPad I cannot find any available wifi that sounds like Kyocera or FreedomPop. I checked other devices as well.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Richard Zirnheld Your Wi-Fi SSID may not have Kyocera or FreedomPop, generally it's the model number or something generic.
  • laselvasurflaselvasurf Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I am having issues as well. I do not have that app on my brand new phone that I just received on Monday. I did do the updates that it downloaded on it's own, maybe that removed the app? Is there any way to get the "FreedomPop Hotspot" app? I purchased this phone for the primary purpose of using it as a hotspot, so I'm hoping this is an easy fix.
  • James_in_UtahJames_in_Utah Posts: 244FreedomPop Newbie
    I called tech support yesterday, and they guy told me he had seen something from sprint saying the hotspot feature was disabled. He told me that when it is working again, I will enable it through Settings->More, but he may not have known what he was talking about. Is that the way it works, or do I need the "Freedom Hotspot App"? Where do you get it?

I called tech support yesterday, and they guy told me he had seen something from sprint saying the hotspot feature was disabled. He told me that when it is working again, I will enable it through Settings->More, but he may not have known what he was talking about. Is that the way it works, or do I need the "Freedom Hotspot App"? Where do you get it?

Thanks for the info James! Hopefully they get it back soon, otherwise the phone is not going to be all that useful for me.
  • James_in_UtahJames_in_Utah Posts: 244FreedomPop Newbie
    OK, I called tech support at FreedomPop, and the guy there told me I need to download "Portable Wifi Hotspot" by Core Technology from the playstore. I installed it, and it's still not working for me. When I initially run it, I can change the SSID and password, but then after that nothing happens. When I run the app, it flashes a screen, then goes away, and there is a message toward the bottom of the phone that says "Turn on Portable Wifi Hotspot". The hotspot is apparently not on though. When I do this, it does turn off my wifi, so it is doing something. I found some instructions that indicate that running the app is supposed to toggle the hotspot on and off. Still working at it.
    I tried downloading the app you mentioned and have not been able to get it to work either. This is a major bummer for me since the primary purpose of the phone was to be a hot stop and it was advertised as such.
  • TeXcoderTeXcoder Posts: 26FreedomPop Newbie
    WiFi Tether Router by Fabio Grasso works fabulously on rooted Icons and is well worth the $2.80 in my opinion.