Global SIM Card

brentsaferbrentsafer Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
I have a Galaxy S5 referub bought from Freedompop through woot and use with Freedompop. I'm travelling to Europe. Will it work with a global sim card I buy there when I get there? I can't tell if it's unlocked or not.

Comments

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,333FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    Highly unlikely.
    Wait for more knowledgeable confirmation.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016 #3
    @brentsafer
    If you are on Android 5, then http://idoneapps.com/ (costs)
    If you are still on Android 4, then http://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-galaxy-s5/general/sprint-samsung-unlocker-unlock-sprint-t2928250

My recommendation: buy a Nexus 6 (XT1103) or Nexus 6p make sure it is US version and works on Sprint). They are factory unlocked and work on all domestic and international networks. iPhone 6 also work.
    Post edited by djinks on
  • brentsaferbrentsafer Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks for advise. So you think if I unlock it, it will work? I checked on Nexus etc. Too much $$ for just a 2 week trip and probably not used again.

I read online that freedom pop works international now. Will it just work now? Thanks.
  • brentsaferbrentsafer Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks for the advise. So do you think if I unlock, it will then work? I'd rather not spend $$ and buy another phone.

I also read freedompop now has international. Is there any chance it will just work or I can pay some monthly fee to work? I only want it for GPS/map, not for calling or text.
    @brentsafer
    If you unlock it and switch to a GSM, then turn it on, it should then recognize the GSM SIM and prompt you for the SIM's PIN. That is what it did on my unlocked NOTE 3, with an old German SIM.
    Good luck with the unlocking.

What Android version are you on? Here is another thread in case you are on 5.0

I am not sure you can unlock if higher that 5.0
  • bukzinbukzin Posts: 39FreedomPop Newbie
    Does FP provide the 'SIM PIN' with your order? I have the Global MiFi 2 unit (with SIM) coming to me.
  • nsr250nsr250 Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    So far I have never been asked for the pin from Global Mifi 2 that has the sim on both hotspot and using the sim on the phone.
  • leiwang2012leiwang2012 Posts: 21FreedomPop Newbie
    djinks said:

My recommendation: buy a Nexus 6 (XT1103) or Nexus 6p make sure it is US version and works on Sprint). They are factory unlocked and work on all domestic and international networks. iPhone 6 also work.

I inserted the SIM card to my Nexus 6. The VOIP worked when WIFI connected, however, the data didn't work, even though the APN setting automatically deployed.