**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Account website oddities for the Global Hotspot

limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Account Services #1
I ordered the Global Hotspot on Jan 20th & the order status page recently updated to show it as Shipped (looks like it's actually waiting for UPS to pick it up, but FP's overall order->shipping time has much improved since my initial ZTE Force purchase, which took ~2 months).

However, what is odd, is the way that the account pages for the new service/device seem to be set up.

The first thing you notice is that the Home tab takes you to a page showing the FP SIM & doesn't show the hotspot image.

The second thing, is that the My Account tab does not have the usual Overview link - even typing the link URL in manually, takes you back to the Account Home page. This link was earlier accessible (by manually entering it), up until the point where the order status changed to Shipped.

The third thing, is that both the Home page & the My Account tab offer links to add a phone number to the account, which makes no sense for a data only Hotspot/SIM.

The UPS weight shows as 0.8 pounds, which would be about right for the Hotspot + charger - so, hopefully, that's what will eventually be heading my way, rather than just the SIM (which I can use, but I paid for the hotspot+shipping).

I'm guessing that the web page differences are probably down to the newness of the service offering, but thought it worth a mention on the forum. Has anyone else noticed the same with their orders?

Comments

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,238FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    In another response, I read that you see FP SIM bla bla, but there is a 'free' hot spot included with charger that needs that SIM. It may be A-OK when package arrives.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @Rich Sias (16th) - Free hotspot, huh? LOL. I'm guessing that it is something along those lines. Where did you see that? My google-fu is weak on this one - couldn't find anything (probably because of the amount of times 'free' turns up in association with FP...)

Still odd the way that the website is configured for these - it's treating them like phones, incuding offering the International global voice plans & global virtual voice number! No domestic voice plans, though - only data. Really odd.

After sitting around for a few days, it looks like the shipment is on the move, so early next week I should know whether I have the free hotspot...

Interestingly, in addition to going by UPS Ground (rather than the usual Smartpost courier/USPS combo), these appear to be shipping from Los Angeles (rather than the usual Indiana location).
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,238FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 'kitting', boxing, waiting, waiting, waiting, etc. are probably MUCH faster out of LA. Tell us how many days between order and at your door when it happens to you.
    edited February 2016 #5

The 'kitting', boxing, waiting, waiting, waiting, etc. are probably MUCH faster out of LA. Tell us how many days between order and at your door when it happens to you.

@Rich Sias (16th) - Order was made on the 20th, spent just under 2 weeks going thru the new 6-step status at FP, then a few days till pickup by UPS. From there it was normal UPS Ground timings. More or less in line with my most recent FP orders - slightly longer on the FP side, faster on the shipping side - some of that down to geography.

The SIM did, indeed, come wrapped in a MiFi 2 hotspot! ;)

Not sure if new, or refurb, but the hotspot appears to be in excellent condition. Battery was shipped outside of the hotspot & was ~50% charged, but so far appears to hold charge well & in line with the reports of good battery life on these hotspots. The battery cover is a little hard to remove, until you get the knack.

FP appear to have partnered with foggmobile for service, going by the APN settings, whilst the unit has selected HSPA+ service from TMobile & AT&T in my limited testing so far. Using the WISP speedtest from DSLReports (which uses much less Mb than Ookla), showed better signal/faster speeds from AT&T, though the unit appeared to prefer selecting TMobile. The hotspot indicates that it is roaming all the time. The touchscreen is a nice touch, but you'll need to access it's internal web admin pages to set WiFi SSID & password to something better than the defaults.

The FP account web pages remain strangely phone orientated.

Great Review !
    So this operates on the HSPA+ rather than the LTE data apparently.

Great Review !
    So this operates on the HSPA+ rather than the LTE data apparently.

Yeah, although the MiFi is LTE capable on the US bands, FP have apparently confirmed on Twitter that the SIM is max HSPA+ speeds.

What was your total costs with ship, taxes, etc. for the 'SIM' deal ?
    edited February 2016 #9

What was your total costs with ship, taxes, etc. for the 'SIM' deal ?

@Rich Sias (16th) - $49.99+$9.99 shipping. Tax, if there is any, will vary by destination.

A couple of more things of note about the device/service:
    • The MiFi 2 will auto power-off if there no WiFi connections in a given period of time - this time/behavior can be changed in the settings.
    • So far (1 day and counting), the FP account data usage web page has failed to update with any data consumed, so you'll need to watch the hotspot's own counter from that nice touchscreen display.The FP account usage page finally updated on day 2 & seems to be updating more punctually now - a usage warning alert can be setup, but only for predetermined values of 20/25/100/250/500Mb/1/2/3/5/8/10/12/15Gb
    • I've not yet been able to get USB tethering working - windows update fails to find all drivers & although XP drivers can be downloaded from Novatel, the device remained unrecognized on an XP machine after install.
    Post edited by limey on
  • Brian BartonBrian Barton Posts: 180FreedomPop Newbie
    Can I use my old at&t sim in it?(and get lte?)

Can I use my old at&t sim in it?(and get lte?)

@Brian Barton - Theoretically, yes - provided you're using it somewhere where the LTE bands it supports (700 MHz and AWS (1700/2100 MHz)) are used (and that nothing has been done to disable LTE in firmware - which I've not seen any evidence of, yet).

I don't yet know for certain, if they're unlocked - but given FP are using an MVNO (who in turn, is probably using the networks of multiple operators), I'm hoping (and inclined to suspect) that these MiFI 2's are unlocked.

Won't know for sure until someone pops in an LTE capable SIM...
  • Jean MillerJean Miller Posts: 140FreedomPop Newbie
    They need to be unlocked to be a global use device I would think.
    I like me deals and free stuff. Thx, peeps

They need to be unlocked to be a global use device I would think.

@J A M (ends 21st) - my thinking was along those lines, also. The thing I'm unsure of, is whether the device could be locked to the provider of the SIM (FP, or their MVNO), but still work on roaming with any network with whom roaming agreements are in place.

• Brian BartonBrian Barton Posts: 180FreedomPop Newbie
    once I receive mine I will pop in my at&t sim to verify and post results. Hopefully it gets shipped soon.
  • geminihcgeminihc Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    did anyone get theirs yet? i'm in a hurry and i ordered on Feb 10th, it says it takes 3 to 7 days ... so that would be latest by Feb 17th but based on what u guys are saying.. it takes up to a month.. ?
    geminihc said:

did anyone get theirs yet? i'm in a hurry and i ordered on Feb 10th, it says it takes 3 to 7 days ... so that would be latest by Feb 17th but based on what u guys are saying.. it takes up to a month.. ?

@geminihc - T'was 2.5 weeks from order to doorstep in my case, but overall times most likely vary due to supply/demand peaks and how far you are from the shipping point. I wouldn't count on seeing a delivery in < 2 weeks.

I saw a forum post where someone mentioned an expedited shipping option, but I can't say that I noticed one when I ordered (mind you, I wasn't really looking, as I'd have preferenced cheap over fast in my case).

• geminihcgeminihc Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    limey said:

geminihc said:

@geminihc - T'was 2.5 weeks from order to doorstep in my case, but overall times most likely vary due to supply/demand peaks and how far you are from the shipping point. I wouldn't count on seeing a delivery in < 2 weeks.

I saw a forum post where someone mentioned an expedited shipping option, but I can't say that I noticed one when I ordered (mind you, I wasn't really looking, as I'd have preferenced cheap over fast in my case).

thank you Limey, i shall be patient :)

how is the hotspot so far? i assume you have used it in US? also does freedom friends bonus increase this global limit also?
    geminihc said:

thank you Limey, i shall be patient :)

Patience is a virtue, but immediate gratification is satisfying! ;)
    how is the hotspot so far?
    So far, I'm pleased with it. Battery life is great, the touchscreen offers an easy way to check usage on the go & HSPA+ speeds should be good enough for most tasks that I'm likely to throw it's way. Size & weight are fine for travelling.

The only wrinkle I've run into, is that I've not yet been able to find working drivers to permit USB tethering to a Windows laptop.
    i assume you have used it in US? also does freedom friends bonus increase this global limit also?
    Yes and yes.

I'll probably turn on Data Rollover for this - I plan to use it only when I'm travelling/in an area with no Sprint coverage, so the 200Mb plan, along with the extra friends data will be fine for 95% of the time - the rollover will allow building up a nice data pool for the other 5%.

Quick update:

Something I just noticed on the MiFi 2's About page, where under PRI Version it shows:
    PRI: {8 digit #} REV 1 | MIFI2 GENERIC REFURBISH UNLOCKED

From that, I'm guessing that these are unlocked (and refurbed, albeit pretty decent refurbs).

Still haven't got USB tethering working, yet - I've seen some mention on the web of the existence of an enterprise version of the MiFi2 which has USB tethering disabled - maybe FP's units fall into this category?
  • mcquillmcquill Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie
    nice find! I checked mine just now and it also says "MIFI2 GENERIC REFURBISH UNLOCKED"
  • David ChengDavid Cheng Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Resurrecting an old thread...

Out of curiosity, I'm "upgrading" from an old Photon, and I assumed that I would get the ~1GB of data I had from that plan (500MB free + 500MB from friends); however, now that the MiFi2 has shipped, the page for the MiFi2 shows only 700MB (200MB free + 500MB from friends). Since I have 2 devices on my account now, 1 of which is unusable, do I have 1.7GB between the 2 devices, or is it the usable 700MB? And if I share data, will it be deducted from the 1GB first, or will it come from the 700MB?

I guess I'm asking because I figure I can share the remainder, but I don't want to eat into the 700MB that is actually what I may use.
    You can 'gift' from either of the devices. But when someone gifts to you, it always goes to the primary device. The secondary device cannot receive gifts nor can it get the 'earned' MB from surveys, registrations, etc.

I made that mistake once. Now I make sure to use a new email every order.
  • scdscd Posts: 35FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert
    Old thread I know but wanted to thank limey for the info as I bought a global hotspot yesterday and noticed the oddities on my account page too, since I also ordered a couple of global sims at the same time I was concerned there might have been a foul up with my order